Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rocker and striker panel replacement

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rwright07, Aug 9, 2006.

1. rwright07

rwright07 1/2 ton status

my driver rocker and striker panels are rusted through cuz the PO is a dumbass. he filled the rust hole w/ bondo and painted... so it got kicked in and looks like **** now

ive gone to several wrecking yards to find a donor vehicle and have found a few, the cleanes blazer is an 85... will the rocker and striker panels out for the 85 fit my 76????

thanks,
    rick

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Yea, they should fit with no problem. Body styles for 76-91 are the same. May be easier to cut those rockers out and weld in square tube tho.

3. rwright07

rwright07 1/2 ton status

i dont know how to weld and i need to replace the striker panel as well

how much do u think a shop would put this in for?

4. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Dunno what a shop would charge. It's kind of a PITA to remove and replace that stuff.

Maybe you should search around and see if you can find a buddy who welds and can do this in his off time or check into a welding school - maybe they have a need for body panels to practice on.

Problem with body panels is you have to be patient and not heat it all up too much because they'll warp.

I had a messed up striker and I asked the guy building my cage to just weld it. Stuck a plate behind the bolt and welded it. The striker doesn't move (so can't be adjusted anymore) but it works just fine.

I had a shop weld in tube to replace rockers but I don't remember anymore what it cost - I had them do some custom driveline stuff too. I think it was $5-600 or so to cut out the rockers and weld in new tube (I got rockers from 4x4iron IIRC). I don't think they made any profit on welding in those rockers.

Maybe you should repost this in the garage

5. rwright07

rwright07 1/2 ton status

thanks i will repost

6. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

quick hijack: I read a post a few months ago. One person wrote that if you don't know how to weld and fab up stuff, this sport is REAL expensive. Its almost impossible to maintain these old trucks without a welder. Unfortunately, I am realizing how true that statement was.

I took the advise and bought a welder a couple of months ago. Helen Keller could probably weld better than me right now, but I am learning. Just wanted to pass along someone elses wisdom.

Good luck with the panels...