Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rocker arm adjustment

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nau81blazer, Aug 6, 2004.

1. nau81blazer

nau81blazer 1/2 ton status

Hey all,
    I've heard of people adjusting their rocker arms with the engine running, but i've never done it. Any tricks? They aren't clicking real bad, but when the engine gets a load on it(i.e.-going up a steep hill for a couple of miles) they clatter pretty bad. So any tricks to doing it? Do you have to buy one of those sheilds to keep oil from going everywhere? Thanks for the help and responding to my newbie question. But what can i say, i'm new! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Thanks again,
    Adam /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I've done it before like that many times . Just remove valve covers , put on the clip on deflectors ( at most real parst stores ) , loosen one at a time up until they clackity clackity , then tigthen up until it goes away . I can't say how tight , its a "feel" thing . After a few times you get an ear for it . Thanks for posting , reminds me Allan has my deflectors .

I have done it according to the book when assembling motors before . In the truck I have always done the engine running thing .

BTW , I have seen some where it wasn't that bad , and was just an oil change to fix it . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. nau81blazer

Thanks for the info Paul. I'll have to go buy one of those deflectors. I recentley changed the oil, so it shouldn't be that. Anyone else with different methods. Just trying to get as much info as possible! Thanks again for the posts guys!

--Adam /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. nau81blazer

no one, eh eh?