Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rocker arm question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BayouBlazer88, Oct 28, 2002.

1. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

after replacing my headgaskets I put the heads on and torqued them to the proper specs. the next thing was to replace the rocker arms and pushrods. it says in the repair manual to tighten the rocker arm nut until there is no more play in the arm and pushrod, then to further tighten it 3/4 of a turn. I noticed that some of the nuts were further down the bolt (particularly the ones whose valves were open) than the ones with closed valves. Is this normal? because I've never done this before. Also, are the pushrods supposed to be hollow? because if they are, then there is certainly a lot sludge inside all of mine. any ideas on how to clean them out? thanks

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

DON'T START THAT ENGINE!!!!! You missed a step in the process. As you adjust each rocker, the corresponding lifter must be on the base circle of the cam. You have to rotate the engine as you do the adjustments. Send a PM to Sandman, he just went through this and wrote up a great article on the process.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Oh yeah, the pushrods are indeed hollow. That's how oil gets from the lifters up to the rocker arms. You can have them hot tanked at an engine machine shop or just buy new ones. Pushrods are pretty cheap.

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Hey I'm famous!

Cam change

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif