Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rocker arm Questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by trailblazer86, Jun 23, 2004.

1. trailblazer86

trailblazer86 1/2 ton status

I found a rocker arm on my engine the other day that just wouldn't run true (straight). Upon removal of the rocker I noticed the end of the valve is damaged and needs repair.
    I don't really mind spending the afternoon removing & replacing the heads I just don't want to do it every 5 or 6 months.

Now for the Question.
    Would it be OK to use self aligning rockers on my old 1974 882 Cyl. heads
    I know that they are not the best heads to use, but the mid size vales and the larger combustion chamber lead me to believe they would work well under low revving heavy loads. Now that I have spent a lot of money and time on these heads I am going to use them.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

well the heads would be fine if your motor is built to run well with them. If you have like 9:1 compression with 64cc heads and you put those 882s on there, you will have low 8s as far as compression goes. That helps nothing in the powerband. As for self aligning rockers on them... not really sure but I wouldn't try to find out. Definetally not if you have guideplates, self aligning rockers + guide plates are a no no.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No it's not ok to run self-aligning rockers where they aren't required.

Valves destined for self aligning setups (Vortecs for instance) have a taller "stem" on them, which equates to more distance betweeen the tip of the valve stem and the locks on the valve.

If you use self aligning rockers on valves not designed for them, you run the risk of the aligning "tabs" on the rockers depressing the retainer, which could allow the locks to slip out.

4. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Dude, you speak of 882's like there a bad thing. They are the best flowing smog heads you can get other than vortecs. Just lap in another valve and use stock rockers or get a set of normal roller rockers.

5. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Dude, you speak of 882's like there a bad thing. They are the best flowing smog heads you can get other than vortecs. Just lap in another valve and use stock rockers or get a set of normal roller rockers.

[/ QUOTE ]
    i'll second that /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif