Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rocker arm ratios, what do they mean?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakeslim, Jul 24, 2004.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

What's the difference between 1.5 ratio rocker arms and 1.6? The heads are late 80's centerbolt if that matters.
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It is the ratio that the rocker arm opens the valve relative to the cam.

Lets just say you have a cam that is .325" lift at the cam lobe and you are using 1.5 ratio rocker arms, that means the rocker arm makes the cam lobe lift 1.5 times greater at the valve for a valve lift of .487", the same cam with 1.6 ratio rocker arms would have a valve lift of .520"

3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

DU!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

4. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Can I use either and is one better option? Its a 350 with stock cam, etc. (87 and up block and heads)

5. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

You have much to learn baby bird /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Nothing wrong with 1.5 ratio, this is an easy way to achieve more lift without changing a cam or changing duration. Some racers use 1.6 on the exhaust and 1.5 on the intake and other racers use 1.6 on only a couple different valves that need more time to get fuel into the cylinder because of a longer runner. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You have much to learn baby bird /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I got that one /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

I have a nice gear driven 203 if anyone wants it /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"don't pee on MY lawn" /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Thanks, I'll go with the 1.5's

9. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"don't pee on MY lawn" /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Thanks, I'll go with the 1.5's

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif FELLING VERY GOOD TONIGHT!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif