Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rocker arm screw in stud Q's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudbug1979, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Mudbug1979

Mudbug1979 1/2 ton status

I had one break, so I had to pull the head to drill it out. I have only drilled it the size of the original stud. Can I get a screw in stud and just tap the hole and put that in instead of trying to press in the new stud? What size does it have to be tapped for and is there a special stud that has to be used since I'm not doing all of them. I running a stock motor, no roller rockers or anything like that. Thanks.

2. Mudbug1979

bueller

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

use the right studs..

There are aftermarket screw in studs for stock rockers--Dorman makes them..they have a shoulder on them,instead of a hex for a wrench like the factory screw in studs..I'm not sure about the thread,I think they were 3/8",but its been awhile since I've done one..there are other posts here if you search--"78 Suburban" had to do them in his truck,maybe he'll post up!.:crazy:

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The hole needs to be tapped for 7/16" x 14. Like was said, there is a screw in stud that does not have the hex nut on it but rather just a shoulder for the stud to stop against and this is the stud you need, it is a Dorman #693-006

5. Mudbug1979

stud

Thanks so much for the info. I found it after reading enough posts to get a crick in the neck. Here we go again.

6. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I found that extra dorman threaded stud we talked about in the PM... PM me you mailing addy and I'll mail it to ya ;)