Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rocker arms

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Muddytazz, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

What are the differences/advantages of using steel or aluminum in the fuller rollers? I'm searching to buy some new rocker arms and need to know what/which/why.

2. gauder

gauder Banned

If you're asking about the diff between the 4340 roller rockers and the aluminum ones, generally the 4340 have more material around the rocker trunion giving them greater strength for really high horsepower motors. We ran the aluminum style on a 637hp 396 with no probs though.

3. jeeptuff

jeeptuff 1/2 ton status

I like the steel full rollers, I have had issues in the past with the aluminium ones.

4. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Simply put steel is for strength and aluminum is for weight. In our rigs aluminum is all you need. It gives decresed valvetrain weight, and less friction, Steel ones are the same except they wiegh more and stronger. Im gonna be running aluminum 1.6 and 1.5 ratio on my 383 when I get it together

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

As i told you last night the comp cams pro magnum roller rockers are excellent because they are steel but don't weigh any more than the aluminum ones but are stronger than the aluminum.

I also have used aluminum ones in the past and had the rocker wear out in the truinion area of the rocker.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you believe what comp says, their steel pro magnum line is lighter than aluminum rockers.

Only issues I've heard with aluminum is durability, but I can't imagine it's a huge problem, they have been around for a long time and tons of people run them. A few complaints don't indicate a flawed design in general.

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I went with scott's advice when we were talking last night about them and got the comp cams pro magnum roller rockers :thumb:

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Thataboy. :thumb: