Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rocker Box Fix

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BillCnfl, Sep 13, 2001.

1. BillCnfl

BillCnfl Registered Member

Almost every 1st generation Blazer or Jimmy have Rocker Boxes that are completely rusted out. These boxes are not the same as the rocker panels. The Rocker Boxes are welded to the inner rocker panel and to the floor of the truck. These were used by GM to add strength to the body and stop body flex during off road use. They were necessary because of the full length fiberglass roof. I am in the process of a off-frame restoration of a 72 Blazer and both of my rocker boxes are in poor shape. I removed them both intack and have a metal fabrication shop that is going to remake the boxes to their original dimension. They will be made out of 14 gauge galvanized steel. I have to order 10 sets to make it affordable. I would like to offer these for sale to anyone who needs them. The assembly will include the rocker boxes, the rear end cap and the inner panel to attatch them to the rear quarterpanel. It will also include new bolts and I will make up a set of detailed instructions on how I removed and replaced them (with photos). The cost for the complete package (both passenger and driver side, hardware and instructions)is $895 plus the shipping to your location. This price is the exact price the fabricator is charging me. Sorry for the lengthy post but i want to let everone know these are available.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by BillCnfl on 09/13/01 07:56 PM.</FONT></P>

2. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Re: Rocker Box Solution

check on making them out of non galvanized stuff, that is a mess to weld and I' don't think you can get paint to stick to it either.

Like em big and topless
    Excuse me...Would you mind removing your from import under my chevy?

3. BillCnfl

Re: Rocker Box Solution

Hi LKJR, thanks for the advise. I talked to the fabricator about this. These boxes are terrible water traps, that's why they are all rotted out in most 1st generations. I think that making them out of galvanized steel will let them survive alot longer. The welding required to reinstall them is not hard and the galvanizing can be ground off at the weld spots. Also, I have been told that if you acid etch the metal with something like "metal ready" from the POR-15 company, a good primer and a paint will work fine. That's just from the research that I have done. Please let me know if my thinking is wrong.

4. BillCnfl

Also wanted to add that if I can get enough response, the price may go down. I will pass this on to anyone wants to buy these.

5. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

np, good luck on the install, I don't have the money right now for one and two my boxes are actually in good shape. just thought I'd throw out some experiences, good luck

Like em big and topless
    Excuse me...Would you mind removing your from import under my chevy?

6. Crushergmc

Crushergmc 1/2 ton status

Won't metal etching eliminate the galvanized coating? You don't have to paint them anyway. You could just use a good undercoating and I think it will stick to the galvanized metal. Check with a paint shop.

"KEEP IT DOWN"
    70 Jimmy, 454, 2wd
    56 GMC, Big Window

7. BillCnfl

I wanted to bring this back to the top. I have 7 folks that want a set of these. I need to get 3 more that want to buy a set. You can not buy these boxes from any other source. If you are interested, please email me

8. hirider34

hirider34 Registered Member

I realize you're doing a frame-off resto., so accuracy is most liley important, but has anyone tried making some sort of tubular braces to replace the rocker boxes for rigidity. I was thinking linking the cab supports, frame, and outer rocker with square tubing along the floor might serve the same purpose. Any ideas?

Why buy it if you can build it better?
    All Give Some. Some gave all. God bless the fallen Brothers in the FDNY.