Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rocker box options anyone

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ABLAZN, Jul 27, 2006.

1. ABLAZN

ABLAZN Registered Member

Is there something different that can be put in place of the factory rocker boxes. Mine were cut up when I bought my 1970 Blazer because the prior owner had put saddle tanks on. I can buy reproductions on ebay for $235 shipped. Also, I talked to a local street rod shop owner who said that he uses some tubing and ties everything together so that you do not need the boxes. Which way is better and why ? Also is there othere options that someone here has done ?

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

lots of peeps have replaced rockers with rectangular steel tubing. Works awesome and will withstand rock impacts way better than a factory folded-sheetmetal rocker ever will. On offroad.com there is a write up about doing this on a K5...

j

3. ecameron87

ecameron87 1/2 ton status

Those rocker boxes are there for structural support, especially needed with the top off. If you have a roll cage in there, I think that you can go without the boxes. If there is no roll cage, then you should put something there.

Do you have any pictures of the saddle tanks setup? I would love to see them. I have thought about doing this to my vehicle to get rid of the 38 gallon tank that hangs off the back.