Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rocker box replacement

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rchandler, Jan 9, 2003.

1. rchandler

rchandler Registered Member

WOW awesome info site. ok i need specific details on replacing the boxes with 2x2 tubing i'm afraid to start cutting but my top doesnt align it lacks about an inch at the windshield frame /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif as a result of that on the way home from purchase,,,,, yep the top took flight. alls well i found a single wall for it.thanks for a great site..... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I'd get that top on right and bolted down before cutting anything. You may need to jack up the middle of the tub to get it in place. The top will act as the structure so when you put the new "Rocker Boxes" in place, everything will line up again. If you weld them in place with that gap, you may never get the top on again.

3. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I'm building a set but I'm using 3x3 tube, check with 4X4Iron, he sell sliders that will work..
    4X4IRON

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Welcome to the neighborhood!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

There's a good thread going a few items down called ...CANCER SUPPORT GROUP..." or something like that. It's filled with scary photos of rust, and some great information about how the trucks were originally put together. It will help you a lot to understand the reasons WHY things were built they way they were originally, BEFORE you make decisions about how to start making changes.

I will agree though with the comments about getting the truck "braced" somehow before you start cutting those structural parts out. If you don't get the tub re-inforced FIRST, you'll be sorry......it will never go back together right.

5. rchandler

rchandler Registered Member

I checked my rockers and the driver side is missing the skidplate, is this the rocker box or is it the support on the rocker panel, the pass side still has it intact. thanks again

6. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

There are no skid plates under the Blazer (other than the optional one that goes under the transfer case). The thing that is likely missing from your driver's side is the rocker box.