Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rocker Box supports?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LKJR, Oct 17, 2001.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Ok two questions, our trucks have rocker boxes since they have a full top. If I install a cage I can do away with these, how does that affect the floor? weaker? also the supports inside I need to replace, (already have all the replacements) the rocker panels and part of the floor are out, all of which will be replaced anyway, is it easier/better to pull the boxes to replace these or is there any kind of trick to replace all this sheetmetal at once?

Like em big and topless
    Excuse me...Would you mind removing your import from under my chevy?

2. BillCnfl

BillCnfl Registered Member

I have 5 sets of the ones I had made up to sell. You can see the details in my 10/9 post. The price came down to $850 per set when they were finally made up. Email me with any questions

3. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

IMHO, I would put something in place of your boxs rather than just removing them entirely. I think they provide much needed stiffening for the firewall (and doors) either with or w/o a cage. Also, AFAIC, a little more crush metal in case of a t-bone can't be a bad thing.

As far as the cab supports go, I think you pretty much have to remove the rocker boxes to replace them.

The following link is to some rocker box resto pics. You can see the cab support installed under the floor with the rocker boxes removed.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/23423163lzSFnIswaJ>Rocker Box Resto Pics</a>

4. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

Agree with Resto - I would not take the rocker boxes out, even with a cage. The cowl/windshield is incredibly heavy and wants to lean back toward the bed. IMO, a cage will help with rigidity, but not replace teh rocker boxes.

If your floorboards need replacing, you can access the cab supports from above, too.
    Good luck
    JB