Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rocker boxe ? will this work

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by earl87gta, Nov 19, 2003.

1. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

I started getting ready to do the rocker boxes today. Do you guys think I could go with out them if I tie my roll cage in to it and then weld an extra suport to the fire wall ware I can bolt the rocker boxes on insted of weldng them. I could then remove them every now and then to clean them and not have such a rust problem. I have a sheet of stainless I tought abought making a big skid plate down each sidde like the hummers with it ware the rocker boxes are.

2. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

Sounds Like it will work to me if I understand you correctly. But, why go through all that when it would be easyer and stronget to weld a square tube rocker box instead of bolting in a sheet metal one. By fabing a box out of 3/4" square tube it won't hold water and you can wash it out regularly with out unbolting a thing.

3. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

I was thinking it would kinda leave it with a more origanal look then the tubing. plus its been killing me to use this stainless for somthing.

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You got it right on where you need to tie in the cage! Most of the flex in the body after a normal cage is right at the dash. This means you still won't be able to open your doors. If you brace it to the firewall (I'm thinking through the A/C side vent holes?) it should tighten it up quight a bit. The next thing would be to just extend it all the way up to the core support.

5. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

Im planning on running them threw the dash close to the window down the inside of the firewall and out to the chassis I would be able to connect the fire wall all the way down the tube that way if I wanted to I tought I would make body mounts for the cage to tei in to the chasis and use the cage to mount the body to the chasis intead of using the body to mount the cage I used 11/2 square tubing to redo the cargo area so I already have a good mounting piont in the rear I will just need to do the front now. I want to be able too use my hard top still so Ive got to figgure in for that too. The rocker boxes are going to be more for looks and a way to keep mud out more then any thing. Dont have a lot of problems with rocks hear.
    Earl

6. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

RE: Rocker Boxes and rust.

My rocker BOXES looked great even though I had rust everywhere around them. On my Blazer it was the sheetmetal in the :
    - inner and outer rockers
    - lower door pillar area
    - floor panels
    that suffered the most.

Even the floor panels were rusted from the top (inside of the truck from wet floor mats/dirt). The rocker boxes actually protect the bottom side of the area from rocks flying up from the wheels.

So while bolting the rocker boxes seems cool, if your's are fine now after 30 years, then they're likely to remain fine.

The real problem on my truck was the trash that collected:
    - from the windscreen vent, down into the kick panel vents and further down into the space between the inner and outer rockers
    - from the top leakage that traveled down the door seal seem and puddled up on the floor by the kick panel

NOTE: This is just my experience and I also think that some confuse rocker boxes with the rocker area directly under the doors that's a problem area for all 1st Gen Chevy trucks.

7. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

My roker boxes are totlay gone and the rockers inrockers and most of all the floor is gone I have to rebuild it all It a Va beach truck so all most all of the bottom sheet meatal is gone luckly the rest of the body is good.

8. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

So if one was to determine the real exposure to the elements of a first gen, it would go something like this:
    - No Rust ------------------------------------------------- impossible (or garaged/never in rain)
    - Rusted Sheetmetal in outer rockers/kick panel - leafs, dirt and water leakage
    - Rusted Sheetmetal and rocker boxes ------------ salt