Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rocker boxes and roll cage

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 75-K5, Feb 24, 2004.

1. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Since the hardtop is soon coming off permanently, and it is currently my only means of support for the cab while it is on, I've been thinking about how I'm going to replace its duties. My rocker boxes and cab supports are basically shot. I have new supports, but am having no luck finding the rocker boxes. If I were to get some sort of cage, would it provide the support I am losing? I know many people have gone this route when converting 76-up K5's to full convertible. Where exactly would I need to tie the cage in order to provide the proper cab bracing? Thanks for any info! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

I have a 75 with a soft top on it. My rocker boxes are shot as well and my doors sag pretty bad. I had a roll cage installed (12 point from S&W racing) but it did not help. The key is tying the roll cage into the windshield frame and dash area like on a Jeep TJ. I am having this done soon. The only problem some people say I may run into is craked windshields. We will see!

3. 74beater

74beater 1/2 ton status

i have a 74 and the windsheild is already cracked from the flex in the body...atlanta had did you tie the cage to the frame..did you cut the rockers out ..

all hail the almighty sawzall

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Hey guy... I got an idea for ya... it was my orginal idea for the plow truck, I kind of started but didn't go all the way. Basically you make a 2x3" (laying flat) sub frame that runs around in HH shapes then you cut the rockers and original body supports out... the new sub frame would take their places (also ending up with a 2" BL). THEN, when you install the cage it triangulats all the flat stock under the body.

Similar to this... this was my design for my 87... could be adapted to your 75... replace the rocker boxes with square tube sliders. Subframe completely replaces the tailpan and was designed for the diamond tread rear floors like I did in the plow truck.

[​IMG]

5. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

i just got finished cutting out my rocker boxes...althought hey werent very rusty....just so i can have 3 braces per side going to my sliders...my plan is to run braces from the front legs of my cage to the firewall under the dash. the cage legs will be tied into the slider braces going to frame..

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I cut the roof off of my '82 and then put in a full cage. The cage bolts to the floor and a plate under the floor with a connector that goes to the frame. I have the factory rockers still on. The firewall flexes enough just driving down the road that the windshield frame smacks the cage. I also have a modified front end that does not provide any support for the firewall. I though of either tying the top of the cage into the windshield frame or running bars from the frame up to the front of the firewall under the hood for support. Have not decided yet.

7. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Awesome...any other ideas? Jeremiah, your idea looks cool but it also looks like a ton of freaking work, hehe. I might consider something like that for the K5 I build from the ground up, but for a basher like the one I have now I don't know if I want to spend that kind of time or money. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

You got pm.

9. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

I havent done it yet. I am waiting on my aussie locker to come before I take it to the shop for the big build-up. But, the guy who is doing the work for me told me how he was going to do it. He claims he has done it before and it worked fine:1st he will weld some tubes to the upper and lower corners of my windsheild frame and dash (from my rollcage). Then fill in the sides w/ 1/4" plate steel to stiffen the sides of the windsheild frame and reduce flex . He will decide if welding a plate between the windsheild hoop of my cage and the top of the windshield frame is necessary, and do so if needed. We'll see what happens! I'll post pics when I get it done. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif