Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rocker boxes under floor of 72?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by snidgen, Mar 10, 2000.

1. snidgen

snidgen Registered Member

Hey all Im doing the body work on my 72 k5 and there are these seeemingly useless boxes behind both my rocker panels and basically under the floor. I think there called rocker panel boxes ? Anyway they just bolt in and they're rusted to [censored] so can i take them out without any adverse affects on say floor rigidity or panel durability ? To me it looks like a lame gm design because they just trap water and debris which rusts out the floor boards. So please somebody give me the scoop.

2. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

i believe there are saddle tanks you can put in there, doubling you fuel capacity. possible storage area?

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Snidgen,

Mine was rusted badly on my 75' so I ripped them out. I really didn't notice nothing, but then again, I ripped them out about 1 week after I bought my Blaze, so I'm not sure. But I don't notice any problems or anything.
    Boss

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>they run from the firewall to behind the rockers and i think they are there to keep dirt and moisture from collecting. mine are gone (of course) and I will replace them when i change the rockers.</font color=blue>

5. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

BigGray,

Where do you get the replacement parts for them? I looked in the LMC catalog and can't find them. What are they really called? Are they really necessary? Too many questions hugh.
    Boss

6. brian

brian Newbie

7. Crash90K5

Crash90K5 Registered Member

8. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Re: Clickable Link

Iteresting info. on the site. I have a '73 w/the rocker boxes but can't open my driver door when flexed. (Like when the front tire is hanging in the air) So it seems that they don't do much. I would love to put some tanks in there. I already have a 30gal tank, but I hate to stop for fuel on trips. I would rather drive staight through instead of stopping for fuel. Any ideas where I could find info on putting in saddle tanks on a '73, or are those just for '69 to '72 K5s? Thanks.

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Re: Clickable Link

The best thing about owning a K5 is ANYTHING is possable!!
    Every Idea I have thought of for my K5 I have been abel to find or build!! My 72K5 only has a 21gal tank so I hear ya on the many stops at the gas station. At Wulfs Den there are allot of first gen guys that can point you right direction. Hear at CK5 we also have a SH** load of Rocken K5ers ready to help!!
    Good luck and if you find an aux tank source let us know!!\
    Burt4x4

Rock ON!