Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rocker Boxes

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazerman, Oct 13, 2001.

1. blazerman

blazerman Registered Member

I am doing some major rust repair on my truck, and I need to remove the rocker boxes to see all the rust along the frame and cab supports. What I am wondering is I plan on putting in an 8-pt cage attached to the frame, and wonder if the boxes are necessary at that point. Any thoughts???

72 K5 - 33's on stock susp. and lots of rust! But at least it's payed for!!!

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The rocker boxes are only on there to give the body more suport when the top is of (AFAIK). I would see no reason to take them off if you are going to do a cage (much better than the boxes for body flex). Also if you are carefull when taking them off (and if they are in good shape) you might be able to sell them here and make some $$$.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

3. BillCnfl

BillCnfl Registered Member

I have 5 sets of the boxes I had fabricated left to sell. See my post on 10/9. The price came down to $850 per set when they were produced. Email me with any questions

4. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

$850!!!!! damn.....are they gold plated or something! [​IMG]

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Donations accepted for the "Build Chaz's 1972 K5 fund"!!!</font color=blue> [​IMG]

5. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

IMHO, I think the boxes provide much needed stiffening for the cab front either with or w/o a cage. Also, AFAIC, a little more crush metal in case of a t-bone can't be a bad thing. (Is there an echo in here?)

The following link is to some of my rocker box resto pics. The boxes cost me about $50 in supplies and about 20 hrs to complete not including removal and re-installation. If you consider what your time is worth ( and don't ask my wife what my time is worth) then $850 is cheap!

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/23423163lzSFnIswaJ>Rocker Box Resto Pics</a>

6. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

I'm with Resto - I wouldn't dream of cutting the rocker boxes out. As of the price of reproductions, I am afraid that this is one part we cannot do well wilthout, and the repop price reflects the low demand. On the other hand, you are risking much more than 850 bucks by not running rocker boxes, IMO. I have the Jimmy on a rotisserie now and I can truly see the flexibility in the body and the reason why GM put them in 32 years ago.
    JB