Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rocker boxes?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Benrs86, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Benrs86

Benrs86 Registered Member

i am just figureing everything out about htat jimmy from my other post. the rocker boxes are just a thin guage steel box like 4inch by 10 inch from wheel to wheel right? would it work to weld up some 1 inch tube inside that box? i weld tables and all kinds of stuff like that when i work and have a lot of 1 inch tubing. could i make a little box or does it have to be like the same? anybody done this and have picutres or anything? thanks a lot, Ben

2. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i think that burt 4 x 4 is putting in some 3 inch tubing of some sort. it will serve the same purpose. its just to support it so the doors will close.

nathan

3. Benrs86

sweet i would like to see pictures of that if it is possible. also i was reading a post by ressurection about 4 pages back and in the post it said a roll cage will hold the body straight? i didnt notice the doors not closing but i did notice that they didnt line up quite right. thanks a lot, Ben

4. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

shoot burt4x4 an email or a pm. hes a good guy i know hell help all he can. hes got a good webpage too. the roll cage would hold it to. it just needs something to keep the middle from sagging. if you dont have the top to take the force. whenever the body mounts give it will sa and the doors will go from out of alignment to non closing. you can also get some big washers from the hardware store and shim up the body mounts under the door for an easy fix.

nathan

5. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

You could replace the boxes with trusses under the floor. All you need to do is ensure that the body doesn't flex much when the top is removed.

6. Benrs86

you know im thinkin i might by this jimmy, weld in some 3x3 tubing in place of the rocker boxes, weld my wheel well part of the bedside of my pickup in for hte wheel well/beside of the blazer and resell it. i am seriously considering this. THANKS FOR THE ADVICE!!!!

7. MuddyMudSkipper

MuddyMudSkipper Registered Member

Steve, any good ideas on truss designs? Should I try to copy the rocker box design or go with something new?
    Jeff

8. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I think that something that mimicks the outline of the rocker box would be sufficient. Make the outline of a box, truss up the stringers into triangle-shaped bits, and it should likely be stiffer than the original box.