Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rocker boxes?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Frogg89, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Frogg89

Frogg89 Registered Member

Does anyone know where I can find "rocker boxes"? I was told its the entire rocker panel assembly in one instead of the seperate pieces. Mine are shot and Id like to get a set of these. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

AFAIK, they are sold as separate pieces from place like goodmark, LMC, and ChevyDuty...There is the rocker itself and then the"Rocker Backing"

Chris

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Does anyone know where I can find "rocker boxes"? I was told its the entire rocker panel assembly in one instead of the seperate pieces. Mine are shot and Id like to get a set of these. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    What year are you looking for? your sig say's 89. Rocker boxes were only used on 69-76ish (yes I know the full vert ended with 75 but I have seen a 76 in the junk yard with boxes. not you frogg). On 73 up the rocker backing plate that ties in the bottom of the rocker and the cab supports go to are just flat steel when ordered from most places. You could easily make them.

4. Frogg89

Frogg89 Registered Member

Thanks, A local 4wd shop owner told me that they existed. But, if noone else heard of em then I guess he was wrong!! It is my 89 I was looking to fix.

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks, A local 4wd shop owner told me that they existed. But, if noone else heard of em then I guess he was wrong!! It is my 89 I was looking to fix.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the 4x4 shop might have meant was a replacement for the whole lower door opening inside and out.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

unless you are restoring a rig back to its factory look or something, i wouldnt waste the $ on the thin guage metal replacements... just plasma cut the old ones off, and have some rectangular box-tube steel with 3/16" wall welded in to replace it. the guy at www.off-road.com has a write up on this, or atleast he used to. At any rate, with that mod you gain ground clearance... save money... and they are a hell of a lot tougher than the factory poop, which, eventually, will just rust again.

j

7. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I agree 100% if you have cut them off weld on some rock sliders in there place.