Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rocker boxes

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '72brett, May 1, 2003.

1. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

OK.. last weekemd I started to make plans for a rocker box replacement. I planned on building anew one by shaping sheet metal along the outside of what is still existing. After a long and intensive planning session and trying to figure out what would need to be done, I figured that whatever I did, it wouldn't ever work right again. I talked to dad about it and he gave me the go-ahead to order a new panel for the driver's side. the passenger side has no holes and is in fairly good shape. I ran a search for where I could find the boxes for sale. I remember a time back when there was a forum thread about it. I did find the thread that lead me to the classicheartbeat site. I couldn't find the boxes anywhere on that site. Could someone that knows where these are for sale provide me with a DIRECT link right to the page that give the info and price and whatnot. thx, Brett

2. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

At this time no one makes replacement rocker boxes. There was a post a few weeks ago about someone that might make them in the future.

I think I would just go the frame out of 1" square tube steel that some of the other guys have done.

4. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

I agree. The tubular rocker boxes are the only way to go. They look stronger plus they won't trap mud in them.

5. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

Have you seen any pics? I would like to see how someone went about making them.

6. 72yellow

72yellow Registered Member

I'm actually doing the same project, going to email dimensions to a friend so he can start them. If anyone the dimensions and pics of the metal frame, it would be easier. I plan on making something up on sunday morning and then doing a quick fiberglass and bondo job on the rockers that are left until they reproduce the boxes and then I'll open the whole box of worms and end up replacing everything in sight. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks

7. Stroked72Blazer

There are some pics in the cancer support group thread that is tacked to the front.

8. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

Go from the frame with 1" steel tubing... can anyone please elaborate more on this. I haven't heard of that one yet. Anything I can do to save money would be great. I got pipe bender and I can weld, so I should be able to do what ever it is to get the job done.

My goal is to have the truck to the point where I take my top off, I won't have to re-adjust my doorjams to the door will close. That take too much time for what it is worth. I just want t get the problem fixed. I don't ever stress my blazer to the max so I'm not too worried about having a "super strong" fix

9. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Here is an example of replacing the whole box w/ tubing that braces directly to the frame. Stout as can be.... but doors won't go back on /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif!

Contact "therobzilla" if you have ?'s about this truck.

Marv

10. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

Hmm, I have to have the doors. So, is there a way to do the tubing idea and keep the doors on? I should think so, but then again, im still new to the "frame" and "body" section of the blazers

11. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

I still need more info. Is it possible to do that and still keep the doors on? I also not really seeing how I go about welding 1" pipe to the frame and how its going to support my cab. I am going to give WES a call and see what the price is on those rockers he's got

12. Stroked72Blazer

13. 72yellow

72yellow Registered Member

Nice, that's helps alot.

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

WOW. Thats helps me a ton. Mine just doesnt look quite that clean /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif That is what im going to do/attempt. My passenger side box is OK, Am I going to be alright to leave that on, and do the 1"box steel idea for just the driver's side? logic tells me yes, but im unsure if that would cause an uneven flex when I am welding. Don't forget. there is a 1970 Jimmy for sale. I can ake some pics if ya like. If it were me, I'd buy it! but I don't make much money and I really don't want to take out a loan. It'd be nice to see it go to someone that knows how to care for these babies.

15. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

could someone PLEASE.. pretty please snap some pics of their 1"box steel rocker box... I want to do this pic here, but I dont see what all has to be done. I want to do this so bad. I'd almsot considder paying you to post some pics of it.

16. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

nice find, I just checked and have that post...

web page

17. rchandler

rchandler Registered Member

i had a 4 point roll bar built and then connected the main hoop to the windshield like the new jeeps. and now have a very sturdy blazer that rides better

18. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

The guy who made this 1" box steel rocker boxes lives not too far away from where I live at. I tried to get his email addy, or anyway to get in contact with him from that other website 67-72chevytrucks but it said I was not "authorized" to view that page.

19. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

Ross,

Do you have any pics of that? I was wondering where you connected on the windshield frame. Does you hardtop still fit on?

Thanks,
    David

20. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

I thought of that too. I didn't think that the top would fit, and If it still did, I am more interested in getting the rocker boxes. I wish I had that guys phone or email from spirt lake. I will just get authorized on that site and see if I can get ahold of him. I noticed his last post was in 2002, I hope hes still around.