Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rocker cancer (help!!!!)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rwright07, Oct 12, 2005.

1. rwright07

rwright07 1/2 ton status

i bought a 76 k5 this summer
    4in lift 33 bf mtr's
    400sb w/ 40k

so far have had to get new front DS and various little things
    but the biggest problem i got now is the driverside rocker panel
    in the intentation between the doorwell and the floor its rusted through
    also it seems the body mount is gettin bad
    ne ideas on how to fix on a 16 yr old HS budget?
    everywhere else is solid
    i think i got a real good deal alltogether.... 2500 bucks

also is neone lookin to sell a 9-10k winch?

2. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

first thing is to cut out ALL RUST.. it will never go away if left in there.. so buy urself a nice 25buck angle grinder from lowes or home depo and go at it.. then.. if u have access to a welder.. weld in new sheet metal. if not, you can prob get away with riviting in the replacement rocker depending on how big of an area it is, and then bondo over that, after all that some bed liner and undercoating will do the trick... sounds like a nice ride any pics?

3. rwright07

rwright07 1/2 ton status

not yet il work on the pics n get back soon... where would u suggest gettin rep. rocker panels?

4. stockk5

lmc trucks has pretty good replacements..

5. stockk5

do u have carpet in it? i would almost bet the area right behind the front seats in that lil corner b4 the floor raises up has rust too.. its almost a given in these trucks..

6. rwright07

rwright07 1/2 ton status

thanks good tip il look for that
    how much will a new rocker cost from lmc?

7. outlawtorn

outlawtorn 1/2 ton status

If you plan on useing it for offroad use you could just cut the entire rocker out and weld in a piece of 3x3 square tubing. That eliminates the rust plus acts as a rockslider. :wink1:

8. blzrdrvr

blzrdrvr Registered Member

what they said

reply #2 and #7 were both right...#7 was more hard core..saw that on another reputable site....i did pretty much the same as reply #1..cut out the rust on mine, slapped some primer over the exposed metal, and then riveted some very light aluminum over the holes, then covered that with bed liner, left it black. aluminum doesn't rust as fast, and i got a very good bit of it at the hardware store in 3' rolled up sheeting. i got a lot of it and did the same thing to the entire tailgate! same with a fender and other rocker panel. the aluminum was VERY cheap. and no welding needed. rivet heads were hidden by the bed liner...tomorrow i'll post some pics of my rig for viewing.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

You'll be sorry!

I had a K5 the previous owner patched up with aluminum roof flashing..it was easy to work with,only one problem--aluminum+ steel= a battery!--add water,and a little salt,and it will rot 10 times faster than before!--ask me how I know.... :rolleyes: :doah: ...use steel,its worth the extra effort..plus you cant weld aluminum to steel,and it adds no structural strength either.. :crazy:

10. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

If he uses the aluminum, he'll have to add in a third metal like zinc to serve as a sacrificial anode, making things even more complicated. GO WITH STEEL!

11. blzrdrvr

Nah

Noooooo...my method eliminates welding..."sacrificial anode" is that what you are meaning? my way is cheap and no welding needed. if he wishes to merely put a good band-aide that looks allright...but the proper way would be to cut it , weld new steel, bondo of fiber glass, sand, paint. or like the other fellow said, use some heavy steel so the trail doesn't make more damage. depends on how he wishes to apply his rig to the trail. I am in no way ready for hardcore trail punishment...so just band aided it to take care of the situation of ugly cancer. can always remove the cheap aluminum and install heavy steel when (if) my rig is ready for the evil rocks. :)

12. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Ding ding......!
    [​IMG]
    This is the winning suggestion...
    Marv

13. blzrdrvr

yeah!! like that son!!! feel the PAIN, rock!!!!!!

14. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

A sacrificial anode is third metal utilized in dissimilar metal installations (steel on aluminum in this case), that's meant to protect one of the two original metals being used, steel in this case. The sacrificial anode protects the steel by rusting away itself before the steel does. That's why it's called a sacrifical anode, it sacrifices itself to protect the other metal from rust. Sacrifical zinc anodes are common in salt-water marine applications of boats and offshore oil rigs.

15. BURB-STYLE

BURB-STYLE Registered Member

you could paint the aluminum that would end all the sacrificial anode talk. use a sprayer and paint with poly. in it and you'll be fine.

16. blzrdrvr

wow

:bow: thank you for the education. i suppose this zinc would be available near water........look at my locale! but zinc must be installed prior to rusting. hmm. how expensive is it? in what forms does it come?

17. blzrdrvr

i simply bathed my aluminum in bed liner. the paint on my rig is goldish-brown (chevy indian gold) so the black looks cool. covered the bumpers with bedliner too...i detest bling, especially on a 4x4 rig. why make it blingy if you're going on a trail? impress the rocks and trees?!?!?! out here we have these long-needled mequite bushes that love to kill tires, scratch paint....etc. and chrome makes one more noticeable out in the boonies

18. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Same idea as Robzilla's, just a little less aesthetically shocking...

[​IMG]

Looks better than pop rivets and aluminum IMO...

[​IMG]

Rene

19. rwright07

rwright07 1/2 ton status

good info i think i will go wiht the steel and weld it into place
    thanks

still lookin for a 9k lb winch and an ok stereo deck if neone out theres got one

20. blzrdrvr

YEAH!!! that looks good..and functional too..i know the aluminum/rivet/bedliner thing isn't all that great but i was tired of seeing the cancer and had extremely limited resources..not so now. i would do that myself, but i have bigger rats to hunt momentarily..i was blown away by baddog's 4 link system...as i said..looks great and functional too! good job!