Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rocker Carnage!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ryan B., Apr 27, 2003.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What were you expecting to see a different kind of rocker damage? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Did this friday night, #2 exhaust valve rocker arm decided to break. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Took a chunk out of the rocker stud, valve stem tip, and the valve retainer has a small gouge in it. I'd rather replace it to be on the safe side then send the valve through the piston. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif
    Looks like i'm yanking off these 76cc heads to get that fixed, and putting on my 60cc heads i have in my shed, off my last engine. Should bump up the compression just a little bit, its around 8.5 to 1 right now, any estimates what the lower cc heads will make it? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Ouch! I've never seen the bottom blow out of one like that. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Good work! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You might want to do the math before bolting on the 60 cc chamber heads. Do a Google search on "engine math", including the double quotes, and you should find some web sites that have the formula to use. Dropping from 76 cc's to 60 cc's is going to make a fairly significant difference.

3. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hmmm, looks like it would be a change from 8.3 to 1 with 76cc's to 9.8 to 1 with 60cc's.

Wonder it that should be good with 91 octane if i get my timing just right. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

You could try it, but thatd be a real load of work if you coulnt get rid of the ping, id say take it off, get the head fixed ad put i back together, you could have it fixed in less than a week.