Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rocker-Knockers this coming weekend

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KrebsATM02, Jun 25, 2001.

1. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Went to the steel yard and picked me up some 2"x4" box. Going to make it stick out past the doors a little to afford more body protection and kind of a step. In the future i am going to make bars that follow the top of the wheel well that attaces from the front bumper to the rocker knocker and do the same on the rear. Anyone have any other ideas? Oh yeah, does anyone know the rules governing Oxygen bottles?? I have an old oxygen bottle from 86. I know it cost 13.69 to get it recertified, but it has a name on the collar. Someone once told me if it has a name on the collar, people won't exchange them. Is this true??? And if so can i just get around it by grinding it off??? Or is that a bad idea. Just trying to save me some money here. Thanks - Doug Krebs

Doug Krebs

2. KrebsATM02

Sniff sniff, no one every replies to my posts. Guess you guys don't find this interesting. haha later - Doug

Doug Krebs

3. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Don't cry Doug. I think it is a cool idea. But it would be cooler if you just bought a set of mine.
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.toyboxoffroad.com>http://www.toyboxoffroad.com</A>

<font color=red>Land use issues are the heart of our sport.
    Get involved or lose the sport.</font color=red>

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Are you attaching the steel to the body (replacing the rocker?) or the frame?

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

5. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I've exchanged stamped bottles a bunch of times - I recently got a bottle stamped by an entirely different supplier from USAirweld. Most suppliers don't really care, as long as they can slap their own sticker on it.

If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>http://pugsley.alloffroad.com</A>

6. KrebsATM02

I'm cutting out the rocker below the door, and also cutting off part of the front and rear quarter panel. They will attatch to the cab supports. About the bottle, it is a really big bottle and i think that maybe part of the problem. I'm 6'3" and it almost stands as tall as me. Thanks guys, later - Doug Krebs

Doug Krebs

7. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

If it is that tall then it is probably a T oxygen bottle. In the past I have been able to trade down to something more manageable. A K size is not as bad but still big. I think mine is a Q now and considered an owner bottle. You can no longer own a T or K size, you can only rent them and pay a hazmat fee monthly. If they try to stick you with that then definately trade down.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I think 2x4 is not going to be enough for what your doing. Mine a 4x4 and Depdogs are 3x4. The area below the door once the rocker is cut out is 3x3 roughly. Dep has ended up adding a 4 inch rail to that and I'm probably about to do the same. The protect grat from the bottom but what we are finding is they need to be out a little more to help protect the sides.
    If you go over to www.off-road.com to the chevy section look for project RocKReady. That's Deps truck and he has information on how to do the rockers.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    Grim-Reaper

9. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I agree on letting them stick out a little bit, here is a perfect example on why:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://coloradok5.com/temp/holy1.jpg>http://coloradok5.com/temp/holy1.jpg</A>

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You may not want to run the tubing from the rocker to the bumper because of the flex of the body mounts. It might cause the welds to crack.

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

11. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Steve, I know the sol'n for that problem...

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

12. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Are those the same ones as Shawn rescently put on??

13. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

Mike,
    Are those the rocker bars that you are building (same as the ones on your Blazer?). They are some stout looking bars, I wouldn't mind getting a set of them.
    Russ