Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rocker Panel Protection (homemade Ideas)??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Burt4x4, Mar 23, 2000.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I want to add some steel under my rockers but I also don't want to loose clearence! I am building my rig for tuff trail riding and this type of protection is on my list!
    I would love to hear some ideas besides "nurf bars" bought at the store.
    Thanks
    Burt4x4

Rock ON!

2. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I've been thinking about this too. Here's what I've come up with:

-Get some large heavy guage angle iron (4"-5" high) and mount that to the frame.

-Then run 1/2" (or 3/4" if you feel strong) steel plate from the frame past the rocker panels. This means you would have 2 large retangle pieces of steel plate (1 for each side).

-Run 1x1 or 2x2 square tubing on top of the plate along the rocker panel to provide more strength.

You might be able to brace it in a few areas. Maybe install some rubber bump stops on top of the plate to hit the bottom of the floor if the plate were to bend. This would only give you 1" less of clearance but still protect your rockers. I know it'll be heavy but I'd rather sacrafice weight for protection. Hope this makes sense and I'd like to hear more ideas on this.

Shawn
    87 K5

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I've heard of people cutting their entire rocker panel out and welding a piece of square tubing in, attaching it to the frame and gusseting. It's a good cure for the common Blazer rocker panel rust too! that's what I'm planning to do, haven't got anything on paper, just a couple ideas floating around....

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

4. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

You guys need to check out Glenn Viveiros' Blazer. He has perfected the brace you are looking for. It does require removal of your existing rocker panel and lower fender. I may do it if my beast rusts out there again.

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>
    1978/91 K5 Blazer

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

6. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I've been contemplating that setup for a while but I can't get myself to cut the rust free sheet metal! What's a man to do???

Shawn