Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rocker Panel Refab

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 78Jimmyish, Aug 15, 2001.

1. 78Jimmyish

78Jimmyish 1/2 ton status

I'm planning on redoing my rocker panels with box steel like RockReady's on Off-road.com..but (always a but...) my rear cab supports on both sides are rotten to sh*t. Anyone ever had to fab a short replacement part? A would say the last foot or so is full of holes and useless.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well the Cab suports are available from J.C. Whitney and pretty cheap. If your into the Fab stuff look at the link to my site. I have made a sub frame that incorperated the cab mount for my 75 because the rocker boxes were swiss.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

3. 78Jimmyish

That pic of the subframe that I looked at on pg. 3 (the upside down one) - that frame runs from one side to the other and incorporates both rocker panels and the cab supports too, is that right? Do you have any other pics of it? I was thinking of something a little bit simpler (a single sided design), but I think that design looks quite a bit more stable, and (if I'm looking at it right) looks like it'd be a piece of cake to mount skid plates to.
    BTW, yeah I kinda am into fabbing my own stuff. I work in a shop where I can get a lot of my materials and ALL of my welding supplies for free, so..I don't mind spending my time and saving my $$ instead of vice verse.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If you look under your truck You have the #1 cab suport under your feet and there is #2 suport under the back passenger feet. Running parallel to the frame is a rib that runs up to the fire wall to the bed that ties into the cab suport. Then there is the vertical peice on the other side that the exterior rockeer welds to. That's what that frame replaces. So there is a driver frame and a passenger side frame. My 75 is different than your 78. The #2 cab suport is in the bed and no rear seat foot well. Thats where the box goes on my frame. So there is a left and right sub frame. If you look at the picture on page 3 titled progress the frame is installed. Kind of hard to see but that's the only picture I have.
    The seat also bolts to that frame and the frame has the 1st and 2nd legs of the roll cage bolted to it so my seat are attached to the roll cage but from below so it's not obvious and Me and my kids are not tripping over it trying to get in and out of the truck.
    Now there are a few problems you will run into. If you pull the door sill trim your going to find a lip where the outer rocker, the inner rocker and the floor meet. This lip is also what the weather stip goes over. in my truck the floors were toast. I decided to leave that lip off. I had to pop rivit the weather strip to the truck in that area. That keeps water and mud from getting in there and rusting it out. It is also cleaner looking since I run without carpet. If you make the sub frame simular to mine you will have to either ditch the lip like I did or make the frame about 3/4 of an inch narrower and make a spacer to get out to the rocker. Also the floor is not flat. The floor slopes up from the door to the tunnel. You have to make adjustments for that and it gets difficult. I had no choice because of how badly rusted out my floor was.
    Unlike Depdogs truck (ProjectRock Ready) I have a 1/4 inch gap between the new rocker and the part that fills between the floor. That way I can hit a hose there and wash mud off the top of the nerf. Because of the sub frame now suporting the body instead of the rocker.
    To be quite honest if your floor isn't shot it would be much easier to replace that rear cab suport and do it like Depdog did and weld the new nurf to the body and get the suport that way. That will save you a lot of problems with the floor slope and you will end up stronger than the stock set up. Crud collecting on to of the nurfs will not be a issue because they will be sealed.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

5. 78Jimmyish

Cool, man. I just checked JCW and the cab supports are only $30 a piece. My front floor isn't too bad - it's my bed that's shot - but I'm gonna replace that this winter when I get some extra $$. I think what I'll do then is order the supports when I order the bed panels and do the whole thing this winter. I think I can wait till then.
    Thanks for the help, man.