Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rocker panels original vrs reproductions?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 69jimmyhendrix, Mar 3, 2002.

1. 69jimmyhendrix

69jimmyhendrix Registered Member

The Chevyduty online catalog shows rocker panels for my '72 Jimmy for either $85 for "original GMC" or $20 for "reproductions" I was wondering if anyone had any experience with one vrs the other. It would be nice to think the reproductions are as good as the original GMC rocker panels but for $65 less I cant believe it. I have a very stock '72 jimmy & whatever I have to replace I want to use the best parts, any input would be appreciated. Thanks

2. SilverJim

SilverJim 1/2 ton status

I put the originals on my Jimmy and they fit perfectly...I've heard that the reproductions sometimes don't fit too well and require lots of extra labor to make them fit well. I'd suggest going with the originals.

3. wrath

wrath 1/2 ton status

I just mounted a repro outer drivers rocker bought from GMCPaul for 13 bucks..fit great !! My.02 cents

4. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

Try your GM dealer for the rockers - you may be able to find them for less. Or, try gmpartsdirect.com - a set delivered to your door is $146. The GM rockers are thicker, and made of pretty good steel - the imports??? If you have a mind to keep it a while, get both the inner and outer rocker panels and coat them well on the our of view surfaces before installing.
    Good luck
    JB

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

naturally if you are a restoring guy then this wouldnt be the thing to do, but why not just chop the old nasty rockers off and replace them with some beefy steel box tube like that guy on www.offroad.com did on his blazer? If you can weld this is a CHEAP mod, just whatever the cost of the tube is. Even having a body shop do it wouldnt cost to much if you didnt have them do any finishing work at all. When I do mine this way, I'm just gonna sand and herculine the area below my trim after the new rockers go on. BTW, for off-road perposes this is not only a cheap mod but effective too, you gain a lot of strength for bashing rocks and unlike after-market sliders you actually GAIN ground clearance at the rockers...

J