Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rocker rust

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79k20350, Nov 28, 2005.

1. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Ok, im going to be doing a suburban bvuild up in the near futue and dont want to do a 2x4 or 3x3 or whatever rocker. id rather do a slider underneath the rocker. question is, how do i keep my purdy rockers rust free. if i remember correctly chevy made a big mistake and those rockers collect mud and water, no? anyway to keep them rust free? other than por 15?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Best way I found was to not install the inner parts of the rockers.If they're open at the back they don't collect mud, salt and moisture...

Rene

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

im goin to find a rust free burb so the inner rockers will already be there. what if i cut a slot along the bottom and then painted it, that might do the trick huh?. i know, im in new england... but i have found a few rust free already, just dont have the money.

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I could be wrong but don't the inner rockers provide some sort of structural stability to the cab? I know without rockers at all you can suffer everything from the roof popping to windshield cracking under flex. I can't see how a rocker without the inner rocker can provide the stability.

5. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

when i replace the rockers on my step sons Jimmy, i didnt use the premade inners, i made my own from 16 gauge.

after everything was welded in, i folded the lip on the rocker over onto the inner, what flexed before, didnt anymore.

filled them with instant foam, and used caulk on all the seams.

6. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Why the foam?

7. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

the foam, I'm guessing is to keep the moisture out.

My rockers are destroyed, they're certainly not offering any structural support on my K5. I'm not sure how I'm going to replace them or what with, but one big thing will be to keep sand, rain, salt, mudd out of them, the foam sounds pretty good to me

Brandy