Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rocker sill support welding

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rcamacho, Dec 3, 2005.

1. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

I noticed this afternoon that some of the rocker sill supports have separated a bit from the rocker box.

Q: can I turn the voltage down enough on .035 innershield wire or do I reall need to step down to .025 w/ gas to repair?

2. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

when i did mine i used .030 innershield wire on b-2 setting on my little pos lincoln

3. gtchief

gtchief Registered Member

I've been using .035 flux cored for body work and it works fine. We first did my dad's '89 f150 which needed rockers and a bunch of other stuff. I was jumping on that rocker without a problem. The only think is you'll have to grind the welds to bring up clean metal. I'm using the same stuff for my '89 k5 now.

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

the best way to test the welder (and you) is it check and see, got some scrap sheap metal around? practise you welding on the thin stuff.

it it had been rusted then it will be even thiner and more prone to blow out.

any welder can weld real thin stuff, it all depends on your skill, i have seen an old guy do some amazing things that i could not duplacat as easly, i guess it come from welding for over 40 years!

5. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

Yea. I welded my whole truck with .035 flux core. Practice makes perfect. If you blow out, just let it cool and then hit it around the edges of the hole to build the metal back up. The grinding the welds down was the worst part for me.

6. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Done!

Thanks folks.
    I just finished welding up the sill support this evening. Surprisingly the guage is fairly heavy so I had no problems with blow through. Apparantly the sill/rocker supports are just tack welded to most spots. It should be a bit stronger now.