Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rockerboxes

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazerman, Aug 2, 2001.

1. blazerman

blazerman Registered Member

I'm getting ready to do some rust repair to the floor, and I need some help on how to remove the rocker boxes. There are the bolts at the back, but how are they secured at the front? Do I need to remove the inner fender to get at something? Any help would be appreciated!

2. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

You have to pull the inner fender because they are welded on at the front lip which curls up and all down the sides in the little slots. It really is an awful lot of work. how bad is your floor repair?

Chris =)
    www.roostr84.coloradok5.com

3. Crushergmc

Crushergmc 1/2 ton status

rooster, are you sure about that? I pulled a front clip off without having to cut any welds. This included the inner fenders.

"KEEP IT DOWN"
    70 Jimmy, 454, 2wd
    56 GMC, Big Window

4. Crushergmc

The front is welded to the bottom of the firewall. I did this to POR-15 the inside of the rocker boxes. If your going to do floor work, you can do it from above. Supports are a little tricky. While you have the floor open, you can get to the inside of the box to POR-15 too.

"KEEP IT DOWN"
    70 Jimmy, 454, 2wd
    56 GMC, Big Window

5. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

6. Crushergmc

Yep, I got that part. I thought you were saying that the rocker was attached to the "front lip" of the inner fender. Just clarifying.

"KEEP IT DOWN"
    70 Jimmy, 454, 2wd
    56 GMC, Big Window

7. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

Rooster said it... it is a lot of work. If you need to replace the cab supports as well as the inner and outer rockers in addition to your floor repair, it's probably worth it to pull out the boxes. Otherwise go at it from the top.

The rocker boxes are stitch-welded on the fronts and sides. You can cut the fronts off of the firewall lip with a 3" air cutter. The welds along the inside longitudinal supports next to the frame can be ground out with a 4" grinder... or if you have a plasma torch go to town. An air chisel comes in handy too. Cutting the outside welds off the boxes will require that you pretty much destroy your inner and outer rockers.

Reinstalling my boxes turned out to be a real pain... welding upside down is hard enough (o.k. I want a rotisserie now) but the rocker box metal was porous, oxidized,... maybe I made it worse by treating them first with the POR15 metal ready... to make a long story short they were a real bitch to weld back in.

8. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Nah I meant the rocker box had a lip that slid over the ledge on the firewall. Sorry should have been more clear, was in a rush. B/C I had to head out to get a new power steering pump for my car. Sorry for the confusion.

Chris =)
    www.roostr84.coloradok5.com

9. blazerman

blazerman Registered Member

Thanks guys! I got under there last night, and saw how much work it is. I think I'll take your advice and go at it from the top. They seem to be solid still, so when I cut out the outer rocker panels, I should be able to see what I need!

Lane