Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rockerpanels

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by original balzer, Nov 19, 2004.

1. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

hello yall i was just wondering what you think would be the best rocker replacement as in cutting the old sheet metal out and replaceing it with something like a 3x3 or 2x4 square tubeing id like some oppinions so i dont do something useless also in my head i would like it to stick out from under the door about 2-3" for a little added protection for the bottom of the doors thanks /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

85 gmc k5 4" lift 35's d60 14bff sm465 np205

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

http://community.webshots.com/photo/122906310/157520894ZjTDvC

2 piece of 1.5" .250 wall welded together to get a 1.5x3" slider that is basically unbendable and a 3" kicker tube. The tube is .120 wall. It does bend if you hit it hard on rocks. More gussets would help this or heavier wall tubing.

Harley

3. original balzer

those are very nice a few more questions: cap the ends or not, weld to the actual body or let it float, and frame gussets weld to frame or bolt? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

willow

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The ends are cut at a 45* angle and capped of with 1/8" plate. They are welded to the body only. They are not attached to the fram in any way. This way when the body and frame flex independently they don't have anything holding them together. If they were connected it would probably tear my body panels and rocker boxes up from the flexing in opposite directions.

With them only attached the the body they only move with the body. They are welded directly to what is left of the rocker box and door sill. There is also one support in the rear that is welded to a body support. Later I am going to add another support in the front to the front main cab support.

Harley

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I have a set very similar to harleys. I have a 1"x3" .250 wall slim line main section and 1" rounnd kicker tubes. They work wonders. The kicker tubes are the downfall. 1.5" tube would work better but would still bend under heavy use. Harley is heavy on the tubes and there fore kinked one in the firs time out (damage due to a 3 foot vertical fall). I am severe on mine, and have all but ripped the tubes off. Not one inch isn't bent, crused or gouged. They do keep the body away from rocks more than you would ever imagine. I can barely take on body damage even when I am trying.

6. original balzer

awesome thanks could i trouble you for some detail pics when you do the front supports just so i have a clear idea of what you did /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

willow