Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rocklogic ram question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4X4HIGH, Jun 6, 2006.

1. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Does anyone running the rocklogic ram know what size thread is used on the male heim that threads into the shaft? I need an answer A.S.A.P as i'm about to order a ram and this may make or break my decision on which vendor i order from. So far when i was talking to rocklogic this morning the guy i talked to didn't seem to know sh*t and had to keep asking someone else so i'm not going to rely on any info i got from him. I know i can trust my CK5 brothers to help me out here. :thumb:

2. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

when you call rocklogic talk to Benji and tell him I sent you......he knows runs the show down there and he knows his sh*t........Chad

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

There 1/2".

4. 4X4HIGH

When i talked to the guy at rocklogic he told me the fitting in the ram was a -4 which is way too small. Not sure but i think the -4 equals 1/4" and -6 equals 3/8" which is what PSC uses and rocklogic's ram is $190.00 for just the ram. After talking to the guy at CCOR about rod ends he says that to have a Heim end screw into a 3/4" shaft the shank on the heim end would be very small and that it could easily break so i ordered up a PSC ram instead which comes with all the mounting hardware including Heims, tabs and bolts FOR $183.00 and they use the FK ends which are supposed to be good ends according to CCOR.

5. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

rocklogic is 1/2" fine threads

6. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

So what exactly is the difference between the PSC and RL rams, concerning heims?

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The PSC cylinder has a female heim on the piston shaft and the RL cylinder has a male heim. Furthermore the PSC runs -6 fittings which are 3/8" and the RL ram runs -4 fittings which are 1/4".

Ira

8. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

PSC also uses 5/8 hardware (heims and bolts). I am plenty happy with my PSC ram/hose kit.

9. 4X4HIGH

Well, i'm glad i'm finally starting to hear some good success story's about the PSC ram since i ordered mine this morning.

10. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Does the PSC ram have female -6 fittings on the ram or do you need a 1/4 NPT to -6 adapter? I am just trying to figure out what else I need if I buy just a ram. I have a local hydraulic shop that will make hoses.

Ira

11. 4X4HIGH

When i talked with Kelvin this morning i ask him about the fitting i would need to install into the ram for my hoses to hook up to and he told me the ram has -6 AN inverted fitting welded to the ram.

sandawgk5, what ram do you currently have?

12. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

PSC is sounding better. I had a whole PSC system before and loved it

13. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I dont have any ram I need one. I just welded my front so I need assist really bad. It is fine in 2wd but as soon as I try to use 4wd no turny turny:doah: . I am looking at both RL and PSC right now. I dont necessarily need a kit just a ram with mounts and hardware I can get hoses made locally I just need to know what ends so I can tell the shop.

Ira

14. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Does anyone make a 1/4 NPT to female -6 inverted flare. That way you would only need to carry 1 spare hose and it could go in either direction.

Makes getting fittings and such easier.

Ira

15. 4X4HIGH

How much are lines going to cost you to have built locally? I have a set of lines from WTO and they have 90* female -6AN fittings on the steering box end and 3/8" NPT on the ram end. These hoses will work good with one adapter into the ram. The hoses from WTO are $50.00 for the pair. Regardless of where you get your lines just make sure they are 3/8" lines.

16. 4X4HIGH

Doesn't matter if there is such a fitting anyways as the -4AN fitting will be the neck down piece that limits flow so not worth using 3/8" lines if you're going to use 1/4" NPT fittings.

17. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I think I want straight at the ram or maybe 90 so I can point them to the center and run them together:doah: Man I dont know. I do know I want 90s at the box just to help with routing.

Will having 1/4" fittings on the box be that detrimental to overall performance? It seems that everyone is running 1/4" fittings on the box at least that is all I have heard of.

Ira

18. 4X4HIGH

Everyone i've seen is running 3/8" fittings. :dunno:

Once you look at the size of a 1/4" fitting you'll change your mind and go with 3/8" fittings instead. You can get every fitting you need in straight or 90* in the 3/8" size.

I'm going to run 90* fittings in the ram as well as the 90* fittings on my lines at the steering box.

19. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Ira, you can buy all your stuff first, than after you figure out all the mistakes I will get mine.:haha:

20. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

There are pics of my hose routing in my sig. I am running low steer BTW.

Yes there are adapters for just about anything. Checker has them (with the NOS crap) and jegs (again with the NOS crap) in the anodized aluminum and a good hardware store/hydro shop can get them in brass.