Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rocko-Anyone: Tub Swap Q

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by talldogg, Oct 11, 2000.

1. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Rocko,
    Well I could use your experience and advice. I just scored a 74 Body that is 98% rust free. It only has rust right around one of the door strikers and a small spot under the passenger door. My body ('75) is pretty straight, but it will need new rocker panels, rear wheel arches, and some work on spots where the top sits. So basically I'm considering a body swap. I have the room and help and I'm not affraid to take it on (well except for time) so my question is, how did you hoist your body? And how did you suspend the new one while you slid the chassis under it? I really appreciate any help, tips, advice while I'm in the planning phase. Thanks.[​IMG]

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

2. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

My guess is a couple a friends and a lot of beer. Did i mention beer? Later - doug

Doug Krebs

3. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

I used the front loader on my tractor to hoist the front and a hi-lift jack on the tailpan. I suspended the body on 8x6x10 timbers resting on 55 gal drums. The rear timber went through the wheel well and rested on the mid bed mounts (with a 4x4 spacer to keep it off the edges of the w/w). The front one went under the front body mounts with a 2x4 and a 4x4 block under each side (keeps it off the rocker flange). I had the entire front clip, top, tailgate, and top removed before I took the tub off.

4. rockosangel

rockosangel 1/2 ton status

TALLDOG,
    we built an "A" frame and with a come-a-long and a lil sweat it was pretty easy. Did it twice actually. We will be posting the specs for it on our website soon, but if you would like us to e-mail you on how to built it, let me know. It only cost us about $70.00 to build but we had the come-a-long already. In fact, we still have it standing in the yard, ready to lower the new engine in. It sure has paid for itself. did I mention, we did it with only 2 people? Let me know..

http://www.rockosangel.coloradok5.com
    http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com

5. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Rocko,
    I'd definitely appreciate it. I'm scoring the tub for $100!!!!! so I figure the extra work to do the swap is definitley worth it. Plus I have more than enough room in my back yard. I actually checked out your's and Ms. Rocko's websites and I didn't see the plans, nice pics though! Here's me e address, thanks, and to think when I bought the rig I just thought I'd be putting an engine in it! Thanks again.
    mongooss68@yahoo.com
    In case you're wondering it stands for mongoose (the only animal that can take on a cobra, in this case a ford cobra) and the SS68 is from my '68 SS Camaro, an even BIGGER project than the Blazer.

6. rockosangel

rockosangel 1/2 ton status

7. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Sounds good. Whenever you can is fine, I appreciate it. Thanks! [​IMG]

8. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I will be using a forklift with 10 foot forks when I do the body swap on my 76. but I have also lifted the body up a little and slid 4x4 under it. (front and rear) and used 2 engine hoists and moved them. scary, but it worked. My boss will be kind enough to let me do the next one at work. THANK GOD!!!!! I'll have pics when I do it. The new body is ready and the old body is ready to fall off! good luck.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

9. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Talldog.. I just drew up the plans.. It was relatively easy to do the swap.. Cheri and I did it with one other friend.
    I'll email you the plans...
    As for lifting the body off, Make sure the emergency brake cable is disconnected.. and Tcase shifter, Steering column ( unless you pull it out first)
    We did the swap with the tailgate on and off (we did the switch twice.. didn't matter w/ the extra weight.
    So.. one the frame is built, roll the Blazer under it, or build the frame around it (we did) Then lift off the body with a come-along (2 ton should work) and Lower the old body to the ground once you pull the frame out from underneath.
    The Lift Frame is moveable.. so Move it to the other Tub.. hoist it up once it's hooked up, then roll your chassis underneath..
    Now just make sure it's guided down nice and slow.. so the Body mount points line up..
    If you have any questions.. please feel free to call me.
    Bonus one: All materials for this cost us less then $70.00
    Bonus Two: Won't have to pay high dollars to rent a Forklift etc..
    Bonus Three: You can say you did it yourself without any major labor.
    Hope it works for you like it did for us.
    Anyone else need the plans.. Just email me..
    ctrock98@hotmail.com

It's better to have it and not need it. Than to need it and not have it !

10. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

We used a friends service truck with a boom to lift mine and do the swap. Two 30' straps and a couple of 5' straps. it took 20 min. to do the swap after everything was undone and it was loose. If you do it it's a great time to put new body bushings in also.

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

11. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Thanks everyone for the help. I checked out the A frame plans and it looks simple enough. Hey, if the egyptians built pyrmaids out of stone, hundreds of years ago using only logs and rope, I'm pretty sure I can do a tub swap![​IMG]

12. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

If you have access to 2 Cherry pickers Engine hoists. They work really well. I have pics but they are not scanned yet. you can put a lift one on each side and then run two tow straps one under the rear wheelwells the other under the front firewall. and then lift away. I thought it was very safe and secure.. and easy. took a couple attempts (had to lengthen or shorten the straps)to get it to lift level but it was really easy. Good luck Let me know if wanna see the pics..

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com

13. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

BlazerBoy,
    Thanks, but I think I'll give the A frame idea a swing. I need something that I can use for a while, if I rent the hoists it would be a minor pain picking them up and returning them all the time. Thanks, though!

14. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Hey Talldog..
    Here's an idea when you don't need the A frame anymore..
    We're going to use them for Landscaping timbers.. :)
    And I think it's cheaper to build this thing than to rent hoists also..
    Good luck Tall and let us know how it goes.. again.. don't hesitate to call me or Cheri..
    Don't know if you checked out the pics on Cheri's website.. but it shows the A-Frame clearly..
    We originally cemented it into the ground.. but thought it would be a better idea to make it moveable.. so we added the feet as an afterthought.. Works great still..

It's better to have it and not need it. Than to need it and not have it !