Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rocko, trustyk5...update

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ftn96, Aug 22, 2001.

1. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I started on the install last night. Tired puppy I am. [​IMG]
    Got the driver side wheel on. The hub swap was easy. I had that done in 45 minutes to and hour. But the grinding too a LITTLE bit longer. I found that the actuall grinding disks are out the window. Im using the hard cutting wheel type disks. Adn with the 3.5 back spacing I didn't have to grind too much. The hump on the backing plate where the caliper mounts is where I had to do the most. HOWEVER, I found that If you take a sledge hammer you can beat that hump in a bit and finish off with the grinding it goes much faster.

???? How much clearance do I need to have between the wheel and the brakes? I can now see why the freaking wheel isn't blanced easily. It aint round. As Im turning it at spots I have about 1/8 inch clearance and others I have maybe a 1/16. ANyway will have the other on tonight. Then maybe pull the rear out and get this E-brake issue addressed.

What is and what should never be....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

2. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Ahhhhh shutup... [​IMG]
    I haven't started yet.. still waiting for my "misc" parts to arrive. Including the wheel's..
    Did you take some pictures?
    I was kidding about the shut-up part.. [​IMG]

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. www.rocko.rockcrawler.com

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Nope! No pictures. Im waiting on the camera to arrive like your waiting on parts!!![​IMG]
    I've got one but it sucks unless your taking pics outside in broad daylight. But maybe it will be there this afternoon.
    But the pics would be the same as whats on the 6 to 8 lug conversion on the Tech page.
    Naananaa booboo, I'll have the front done tonight. [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

4. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Just checked out your Jimmy ftn. Very nice.. look's like my 89 Blazer.. now I have to lift my 89 and make it as tall as your's is in the picture on your webpage..
    What tire/wheel combo are you going to be running again once the conversion is done?

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. www.rocko.rockcrawler.com

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Well, Im running the Bart 15x10 3.5 backspacing chrome mod type wheel. The tires are gonna be the 33's BFG's you saw on the website. Im gonna go to 36 TSLR's a little later. But these are brand new and we have a baby on the way and I have other underlying stuff that needs to be done to the house. So I'll have to wait till after the first of the year to get new tires.
    I'll also have to re-gear the front to match the 4.56 rear. Im also gonan take the Auburn posi thats in the current rear and install it up front. I wish I could have doen that while I had the front apart for the change over, but I've doen the front stuff so many times. I can have it apart in less than an hour.
    So I'll be sportin a 3/4 2wd with 33's for a while.

6. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

How far are you from Corpus Christi? Or coming from Tennessee would I have to drive anywhere close to where your are to get to Corpus? I'll be coming thru there a little after the baby is born to visit the wifes family.

7. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Corpus is about 4 hour's drive south..
    We're headed down there in September for a beach run.. and I think again in October..
    Round Rock is way out of the way... [​IMG].
    Good luck with your baby-2-be.. wish you the best..
    Also.. on a side note..
    You won't be completely done with your axle swap before me.. [​IMG]. My gear's match... so technically ... my swap will be completed this weekend.. [​IMG] [​IMG].

8. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

LOL, you thought rims were round? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I'll get to do some more grinding soon, my drivers side caliper is froze I think...[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

10. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

So how much clearance should shoot for? OR am I good like
    I am?