Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rockrails Nerf plans for 1st Gen

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SHINTON, Jul 25, 2002.

1. SHINTON

SHINTON 1/2 ton status

Ok guys I want some feedback on my design for the rockrails on my 1st Gen Blazer. If you look under the K5s that the whole top comes off you will find a 'rocker box' that hangs down even with the bottom of the frame rails. Unless you are willing to cut it out and the rocker panels there is not a straight path to the normal mounting points for a nerf bar/rock rail.

There is a link at the bottom of this to my webshots folder and you will find a picture of my first design BUT the one titled K5 Rockrail design is my second attempt based on feedback from the 1st Gen forums!

My design is running just under the frame rails/rocker boxes and rocker panels. Using 2" heavy gauge tubing I will lose 2" of clearance but GAIN major protection!

This one uses two 2" bars that stretch across both of the frame rails and out to the nerf bar/sliderz.

The L-Iron sits on top(welded) of those tubes and bolts to the C-channel frame. This L-Iron will be a pretty heavy guage and will have Triangle shaped inserts/supports welded inside the L shape to keep it from bending 'closed/open.'

A Second L-Iron sits inside the C-channel to provide support(like a BIG washer) for the bolt holes. Again maybe some inserts if needed.

Another 2" tube runs underneath the C-channel Frame and 4 bolt holes will be run thru it, the frame and the L-iron inside it to create 4 more attachment points.

Longer term plans would be to replace the current tCase mount/skid and integrate into this rail system. One possible issue is the front/rear drive shafts. If I have to I will cut the long side to side tubes and weld a loop over the driveshafts. But I still want a single tube connecting both sides/frames etc for the most strength.

Currently this will bolt into existing holes in the C-Channel Frame except for the 4 new holes on the bottom of the frame going down into the rail system.

I need feedback, I will be starting this project in about 2-3 weeks once I am back from the beach!

Link to SHINTON webshots 72 Jimmy Folder

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I went a differnt route.
    I didn't want all that extra steel reaching in and around the boxes. So I cut out my rocker panels(rusted anyway) and welded a 5' piece of 3x3 square tubing in it's place. The bottom lip of the rocker box is welded to the 3x3.
    I only have one installed so far but will get the other one up this weekend.
    It all depends on what you are putting them there for. I want to BASH some rocks with mine /forums/images/icons/grin.gif BAM take that Mr. Rock KABLAM and that Mr. Bolder!! heheheh
    Good Luck

3. SHINTON

SHINTON 1/2 ton status

Yeah if my rockers were not so 'purty' I would do the same. However Dad and I have kept the rust cut out and replaced the rockers several years ago. That is def the most hard core solution and gains clearance instead of losing any!!!

Phase 2 or 3 will be to remove my rocker boxes and replace them with square tubing as well to retain the strength for the body. I may 'integrate' those into the rockrails as well, my dad worked on the boxes so they are still useful but it is just a matter of time and they will be junk.

Sam

4. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Dude Burt, you got ant pictures of that set up! My rockers are toast! That would be perfect. Maybe you could market them? I can be your first customer....... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Oh man it has taken me FOREVER to get this far let alone market anything /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
    I will get some pics up after this weekend when I get the other side mounted. I also SUCK at welding so I have to do some grinding and hole filling of my crappy welds /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif
    It was just a matter of getting the 3x3 to sit flush to the lip of the rocker box so I could run a bead. That and I put Por-15 inside the rockerboxes to try and slowdown any rusting that is going on in there!

6. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Cool! I wanna see pictures. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. theblackmonky

theblackmonky Registered Member

rockrails are great i love mine

8. AJs72K5

AJs72K5 blub-blub-blub-blub Premium Member

Holy 7 year old thread Batman!!