Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rockrod

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mudd_rat, Dec 18, 2000.

1. mudd_rat

mudd_rat Registered Member

anyone running a rock rod??? i am looking into getting one next month and was wondering how to attach my duel steering stabilizer to the rock rod??? it has a special bracket that attaches it to the stock tierod would i have to fab up a bracket???

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I Too am getting one next month and It is just my opinion but a single highquality stableizer is plenty.
    You may have to custom make a Ubolt & bracket to mount to it but shouldn't be too tuff. Hardware stoer and a BFhamer to form the proper shape[​IMG]. I'm gonna drive with out a stablizer first to see if it is really doing anything fo my rig. Many do this so shouldn't be that big of a deal!
    Good Luck

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

3. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

A high quality single stabilizer is all ya need. I'm running a single in the stock bracketry with 39.5" Swampers. When converting to a rock rod, you can get a tie rod end from a later model truck (mid 80s) that has the stabilizer tapered hole built into the tie-rod end. I think Shawn has this setup this way. I know, if I get a rockrod, that'll be how I hook mine up...I think the stock bracketry looks much cleaner than all that dual stabilizer crap...which I took off when I went back to the single!!!

ken

4. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Actually, I have custom mounts on mine. Get your welding goggles on and check out the pic on the ORC Chevy board. I don't like the stock tie rod end with the stab. hole since it's weaker than the tie rod end without the hole. Keep in mind, a Dana 44 stabilizer mounts different than a 10 bolt. The 44 usually mounts it's stab. in the center of the tie rod where the 10 bolt mounts near the tie rod end.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]

5. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Hey Shawn, the 44 stabilizer mount in the middle of the tie rod was only up till mid-'76, after mid-'76 it was on the end like a 10 bolt. The change came from when the housing size increased from 2 3/4" to 3" in mid-'76. I agree with ya on the weakness of the hole in the tie rod end....now what to do...I guess break out the welder!!

ken

6. Hobbes68

Hobbes68 Registered Member

What's a rock rod?

7. Scott Ellinger

Scott Ellinger Registered Member

I've taken to tossing the stabilizers off of my trucks... granted, I run mostly Toys, but even with (8psi flat!) 36x12.50 Swampers, I don't run stabilizers. Even more motivation to ditch 'em after a friend toasted his on the Rubicon, crushed 'em to the point that he couldn't steer at all. I don't usually have a problem with trail breakage, but stripping stabilizers off in 20-degree weather with 40mph winds, isn't pleasant.

Right now, I don't have a stabilizer mount setup for the Rock Rods. I can make one up if demand exists, but I'll need to know what style shock ends are to be used with it, if they're to be stud or bushing style, and what size.

A Rock Rod is a 1.5" OD tie rod. Designed to take beatings from rocks. Pics-n-info on my website.

--scott
    http://www.rockstomper.com

8. Hobbes68

Hobbes68 Registered Member

Thanks Scott! Got it!

9. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Good info on the 44's Ken. I know my ex-75 44 had it in the middle.

My stab. brackets are actually for a RAM.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love that last picture. Makes me want to wear my welding mask!

Thanks for welding that Scott! That draglink and tierod of yours is sweet!

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]

10. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

So, does anyone else go without the stabilizers? My rock rod should be at home waiting for me today if the UPS people can get a move on!! I was going to put it on this week, didn't even think about the stabilizers! How much difference does it really make? I guess I can find out by taking mine off! Scott, let us know if you could make a custom piece, I myself use the stud ended stabilizer shocks.

11. Scott Ellinger

Scott Ellinger Registered Member

Well, there's a couple different designs I have in mind for stabilizer mounts, and here's the design basics:

Two (maybe three) 1.5" round U-bolts, bolted to one leg of a piece of angle iron. For stud ended shocks, the other leg (of the angle) simply has a hole in it, the shock stud goes through, and the nut goes on the other side, and now you've got a stabilizer.

For bushing ended stabilizers, I'm thinking turn the thing 90 degrees, and put a stud through the hole for the bushing end.

For the sake of inventory reduction, I could theoretically set it up to use two 1.5" U-bolts, on a perfectly square pattern, and then the same bracket would fit either way, might just need the stud hole drilled bigger if it's used with bushings instead of a shock stud.

1. Does this make sense?
    2. Given what's involved, is it worth, say, $15-20 each, to get these things?

As with all my stuff, I'm more than happy to lay out exactly how I make it, and if you want to DIY instead of buying one, more power to ya.

--scott
    http://www.rockstomper.com

12. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    A intresting sidenote about the 2nd hole in the tierod end being a "weakspot" The bronco guys are swapping in '85 and up K5 tierod ends with rockrods. They are reaming the staiblizer hole out and using it to attach the draglink. No one has broken one yet and there is alot of 38" swamper guys out there. Just a thought

13. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Scott that's exsactlly what I'm thinking or will most likelly do, the Ubolt way with the hole in the plate deal. IF we can figure out what to do about my first gen rockrod fabing adventure[​IMG]......
    I am still curous as to how it will performe without the stablizer once the front is runnin straight by it's self.

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com