Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rocks and sand

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun, Jun 21, 2004.

1. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Which tre would be the best in rocks and sand. Someting in the 37 range preferably on a 17 inch rim but a 15 will work fine.

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

SSR's you should really look into getting set. There was a guy around here selling some 37's for a good price with wheels. I'll see if I can find the number /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

3. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I think a 15 inch rim will be better, you will have more sidewall height for when airing down, I think having more sidewall bulging out will protect the rim better also.

4. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I think a 15 inch rim will be better, you will have more sidewall height for when airing down, I think having more sidewall bulging out will protect the rim better also.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that is one way to look at it. Mor sidewall = mor of a chence to rip it open!! I run a 15 but only because in 10+ years of doin this I have been very lucky. I will go to a 17 or a 20 at the time of my next purchase.

5. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Yeah get me his number. I will give him a call. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

How well do yo guys think the MTR's will work in the sand and rocks.

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

MTR's are awsome in the rocks. They do dig a little in the sand though. Drop the air down and they lay out a big footprint for their size too. IMO that is the most commonly used (I mean real offroad) tire out hear in AZ for any rig that sees the street.

7. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

it really depends on what type of sand you are running in
    for instance glamis california has a way softer sand compared to the oregon dunes beach sand so in glamis or even dumont dunes down south the only good sand tire is something that is wide as hell like a baja claw or something similar with not a lot of traction (big lugs) they just dig holes.
    you need something that you can spin real easy and fast so it wont dig holes instead it will move the sand propelling you forward just like a paddle on a quad.
    for the rocks I would agree on what others have said in regaurds to the MTRs they are a descent all around tire.

the best way would be to buy yourself a new set of tires for the rocks and someones old used tire in a 33" or 35" and regroove them yourself that way they are nice and lite /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Sweet I am thinking 37 MTR's. I can air them down for the sand. Nevada sand is real fine except for sand mountain where it is awesome. That solves my problem though thanks
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

and bryan see if you can find that guys number? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

9. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    it really depends on what type of sand you are running in
    for instance glamis california has a way softer sand compared to the oregon dunes beach sand so in glamis or even dumont dunes down south the only good sand tire is something that is wide as hell like a baja claw or something similar with not a lot of traction (big lugs) they just dig holes.
    you need something that you can spin real easy and fast so it wont dig holes instead it will move the sand propelling you forward just like a paddle on a quad.
    for the rocks I would agree on what others have said in regaurds to the MTRs they are a descent all around tire.

the best way would be to buy yourself a new set of tires for the rocks and someones old used tire in a 33" or 35" and regroove them yourself that way they are nice and lite /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

...what bob said. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

What about some Mickey Thompson tires? I've seen these do really well in rocks and sand. Or even better the STS tires from Interco? I know you want a wide, less agressive tire for sand and a good flexable tread for rocks so these tires would do good IMO. If you're doing mud then a Super Swamper is the only way to go (M/T Baja claws do okay though)

11. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I have the STS's on my FunBuggy, and I've had them in the sand... and I wasn't impressed /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif ....

They were too stiff... and I couldn't get them to soften up w/ any amount of "flattenization" /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif.... is that a word?/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Maybe they'd work better on a heavier vehicle./forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Marv

12. TruckNutzDude

I think the weight would help a lot since the sidewalls are fairly thick. I know they work well on the rocks, see the newest Four Wheeler mag for the pictrue of the great pumpkin on it's lid for proof. (I'm pretty sure it's Four Wheeler /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif, someone back me up on this... the picture is in the "eastern jeep safari section")

13. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What about some Mickey Thompson tires? I've seen these do really well in rocks and sand. Or even better the STS tires from Interco? I know you want a wide, less agressive tire for sand and a good flexable tread for rocks so these tires would do good IMO. If you're doing mud then a Super Swamper is the only way to go (M/T Baja claws do okay though)

[/ QUOTE ]

I also run a set of 38.5" baja claws. they used to be my all around tire for rocks and sand but now they are strictly for the sand I run a set of 42" TSLs now in the rocks.
    remember that the smaller claws arent the same as the 38.5s the bigger ones are much better.

if they would come out with a 42 I would never buy any other tire. IMO the claws are the best all around tire there is /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif because the contact patch is so damn big and the sidewall are indestructible.

14. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I think the weight would help a lot since the sidewalls are fairly thick. I know they work well on the rocks, see the newest Four Wheeler mag for the pictrue of the great pumpkin on it's lid for proof. (I'm pretty sure it's Four Wheeler /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif, someone back me up on this... the picture is in the "eastern jeep safari section")

[/ QUOTE ]

are you talking about tobys big orange blazer that is upside down in a big hole ?

if so that was at moab this easter safari in the big hot tub on hells revenge. and the tires werent even impressing him they acted like big balloons bouncing everywhere and thats what did him in /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm getting ready to move back to the Omaha, Ne. area. There is alot of mud, and alittle sand along the river there. With that in mind, I bought Ground Hawg 2's. I belive they'd do fine in the rocks, but rocks wasn't one of my thoughts when I bought my tires.

16. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

do the claws come in a 38.5 x 12.5/ I dont really want to run a wide tire. Maybe I will just stick with the MTR's.

17. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

hey shouldn't your truck start up before you buy tires /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

18. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    do the claws come in a 38.5 x 12.5/ I dont really want to run a wide tire. Maybe I will just stick with the MTR's.

[/ QUOTE ]

no but they come in a 38.5/16 that way you can run on a narrow wheel and when you air down your wheels would have that much more protection.

19. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

are you talking about tobys big orange blazer that is upside down in a big hole ?

if so that was at moab this easter safari in the big hot tub on hells revenge. and the tires werent even impressing him they acted like big balloons bouncing everywhere and thats what did him in /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that's what I was talking about. That's too bad about his Blazer getting flopped on it's roof (windshield frame /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif) I guess it's just an excuse to make it a truggy now? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

20. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I run MTR's also. they do pretty well in the rocks. I and alot of other AZ guys run them in the rocks pretty hard. They work well. I have only had mine in sand once and they did ok. I was rolling into a wash and was in 2WD. The sand was soft and I just kept the foot in the gas and keep the tires spinning and it was fine. Stopped on a little firmer ground and locked in. I was following Matt(az-k5) and his MTR's did the same thing. We both run heavy trucks too.

MTR's are a damn good all around tire. They give pretty good traction in just about all situations, last pretty well on the street, have good street manner, and seem pretty tough so far.

Harley