Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rockstomper Beadlock kit and daily driving

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Sep 22, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've been hearing its just not a good idea, am I wrong? The k5 is my daily driver and I'm probably going to run 37" MT/Rs with 15" rims. I was figuring 15x8s with Rockstomper beadlock kit and I've got beadlocked 15x10s. but would this really be a bad idea?

2. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

I dont really know but ive heard that the kits to turn norlmal rims into beadlocks are not to bad for driving. The reason beadlocks are bad for driving is because they are really hard to balance. I guess if you had a rim that was balanced then beadlocking it wouldnt be too big a deal.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

my plan was the bb balance method.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

beadlocks arent street legal... thats prolly the biggest problem...

j

5. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Question about legality of beadlocks. Lets say you take a DOT approved rim and cut it in half. Is it still DOT approved? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I run a similar beadlock to the Rockstomper - I just had them burned out myself. Contact Cyberfire here on the boards, he can do this for you cheaply.

In my opinion, the Rockstomper style beadlock has to be the best on the market. If I have beadlock problems (never have) I can roll the bead over onto the original bead surface on the rim and drive home! Slick setup.

We did have one interesting thing happen during the Fall Crawl. TheBigdaddyof2 rolled an innner bead off his Rockstomper beadlocks! I think he was only running 5-6 psi on a 4+ trail during that time!

I run my IROK's at 5 psi on the trail without problems.

I run zero balance weight and have absolutely zero problems! They do not shake or wobble. They have never leaked air in the two sets of tires I have installed. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Question about legality of beadlocks. Lets say you take a DOT approved rim and cut it in half. Is it still DOT approved? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, legally... no way in hell... in reality... whos gonna check? only thing I can imagine that would result in you getting "busted" for something like this is if you wrecked your rig (due to wheel failure) and your insurance company did some kind of inspection on the remains and stumbled upon it. that could be bad.

j

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I'd really like to meet the person thats gonna give me a problem about the rims. I can only think of one cop in the area I'd expect to know what Beadlocks are and for me he would probably just wink and nod and mention beadlocks are illegal but my "fakes" are great. I called about my 37 MT/Rs today, local dealer claims than can have them in 2 days /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif not gonna get them for a little bit just happy I can.

8. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

OK, here it is. These will be on the street from time to time. Ya know on the way to the trail and so forth.

[​IMG]

I had one leak one time. Broke down the beadlock and tire combo with out letting the air out of the tires. Just to see when air would come out. 6 bolts left and still full of air. Of course that is sitting on the shop floor not on a truck. But still.

9. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Mine are a replica of the Rockstompers. I drove more than 3,800 highway miles with them on my trip to Mexico city. No problems at all. I blew a tire, but that had nothing to do with the beadlocks. Still running them and no problems.

10. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    We did have one interesting thing happen during the Fall Crawl. TheBigdaddyof2 rolled an innner bead off his Rockstomper beadlocks! I think he was only running 5-6 psi on a 4+ trail during that time!

[/ QUOTE ]

What a sight that was. No problem with the OBA though.

We had a lot of fun Nightcrawlin', wouldn't you say?

I've had Rockstomper beadlocks for almost 3 yrs now. I've driven them to and from trails for up to 3 hrs at hwy speeds. No problems....except maybe balancing....but what the Hell, Swampers aren't round anyway.