Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rockwell 2 1/2ton axles is it alotta work to put them under my blazer????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ilikeitloud, Mar 21, 2004.

1. ilikeitloud

ilikeitloud 1/2 ton status

well today i went to go take a look at some D60s for the blazer and one of the guys i was talking to told me he had a bunch of 2 1/2ton axles that he wants to get rid of. he would sell me a set of 2 1/2tons for 1000 bux(front and rear). i dont know if thats a good price or not but it would be cheaper then buyin the 60. are these axles hard to get under the blazer what kind of fabrications would i be doing with steering,suspension,etc... would it just be easier to go for the 60.

2. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

It will require quite a bit of fab work. You will have to make several mounts, spring plates, and at least one crossmember. You will also have to do some hub swapping, figure out the brakes, driveshafts, large wheels (20" most likely), tires to fit those wheels. On top of that 1K is not that good of a deal for Rockwells.

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i dunno but i think you can find a better deal if you shop around a little more... go look on pirate for rockwells i hear about some better deals then that on there.

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Re: rockwell 2 1/2ton axles is it alotta work to put them under my blazer??

The two biggest obsticles are, top loading interference, and different width between the front and rear. The top loader can easily find the oil pan or worse the crank. This is often fixed with a large lift ( /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif) or moving the axle/motor location ( /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif). The width issue can be dealt with by using a cut housing (needed to offset the front diff anyway) and a custom shaft. It is a lot of work, but you are getting a lot of axle.

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

What size tires do you plan on running?