Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rockwell axel conversion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by milspecjimmy, Jan 6, 2003.

1. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

any one do it? chop them down, change em to 8 lug disc breaks? how hard is it and is it worth it if i get he axels cheap enough?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> It's not very cheap when you get into changing them to 8 lug with discs. You also need to run a fairly massive amount of lift in order to clear the top loading 3rd members. I had a chance to get 3 Rockwells for $150 (1 front, 2 rears) a few years ago and did not get them due to the cost associated with the brakes and the fact that I would need a minimum of about 12" of lift to clear the things. I also was not real keen on the 6.17 gears, that in itself rues out any kind of street driving, since you'd need 52" tires just to be able to run at highway speeds.

You can do the pinion mounted brakes, but they are illegal to use on the road in most states.

If you do not care about the truck being street legal and you don't mind it being REALLY tall, then go for it, but don't expect it to be a cheap swap if you want to get fancy with the brakes and such.</font color>

3. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I know of two people going to this style of setup real soon theBigdaddyof2 and Blueblazer62 on the forums here. You may also check with Steve Sharp for any questions you may have yellerblazer@hotmail.com and lastly check with Casey at Wagoner Machine in Oklahoma www.wagonermachine.com

Steve has this under his '72 K5 at this time - custom suspension, but in the beginning it was leaf sprung. I would not waste the money converting to 8 lug - go with pinion brakes, hydro steering and the standard 6 lug setup. MRT makes the beadlocks for this application. You can run 15" rims with the pinion brake setup.

4. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Speaking of thebigdaddyof2, he just picked his up last night, I hope to get some within the month. I think 6-8" of lift will be plenty if uptravel is limited by lowered bumpstops.

5. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

a place in florida called chucks trucks has done this and offers turn key jobs, although it isn't real cheap /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

6. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

7. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

"After getting stuck twice in the sand trap on his last golfing trip, Jim Bob decided he needed a bigger golf cart."

[​IMG]

8. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

What? Todd bought the axles? KEWL!