Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rockwell axle from a "P"-chassis

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ZK5, Jun 9, 2003.

1. ZK5

ZK5 1/2 ton status

Rockwell axle from a \"P\"-chassis

Has anyone ever seen one of these? I recently came across a rear axle that I was told was a Rockwell that came out of a P-chassis GM. (basicly a bread truck). I have never seen a rockwell this small. It looked like a super sized ford 9" except with square tubes and 10 lug rotors with dana 60 brake calipers. It had a 5.29 gear ratio. I was considering swaping out my 14 bolt ff for it. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Re: Rockwell axle from a \"P\"-chassis

<font color="green"> Wouldn't it be a 10 lug? Or the big-assed 6 lug? From what I understand those axles will take the Rockwell toploading third member, the housing is the same between the two axles. </font>

3. ZK5

ZK5 1/2 ton status

It's deffinately 10 lug, But the whole axle din't look quite as big as the duece and a halfs.

4. jhrody

jhrody 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Has anyone ever seen one of these? I recently came across a rear axle that I was told was a Rockwell that came out of a P-chassis GM. (basicly a bread truck). I have never seen a rockwell this small. It looked like a super sized ford 9" except with square tubes and 10 lug rotors with dana 60 brake calipers. It had a 5.29 gear ratio. I was considering swaping out my 14 bolt ff for it. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I work for Workhorse Custom Chassis Corp, which owns the rights to the GM P chassis. Workhorse took over the P chassis line from GM in '99.5.

what year P truck is this out of?
    there are 2 basic P chassis that are/were produced
    P42 (step van chassis/bread truck)
    P32 (motorhome chassis/RV, etc.)

The only axles I'm aware of were made by:
    GM Corporate (10.5 and 11.5 ring gear)
    American Axle Corp (most of the rear disc brake axles)
    some Dana's.

The only possible way this may be a Rockwell is, if it is out of a medium duty stripped chassis, like one of the heavier tool trucks (Mac, Snap On, etc.). Top Kick, Kodiak, C6500, C7500, stripped chassis, etc.

5. ZK5

ZK5 1/2 ton status

here is the tag data on it

MODEL C 103 CHX 1

CUSTOMER NO. 14042636

NO. &amp; ASS'Y PLANT HK8416467

RATIO 529

DATE 0558401

HUB FLANGE TO HUB FLANGE IS 66-1/4". ABOUT 1/2" LESS THAN A 14 BOLT.

6. jhrody

jhrody 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    here is the tag data on it

MODEL C 103 CHX 1

CUSTOMER NO. 14042636

NO. &amp; ASS'Y PLANT HK8416467

RATIO 529

DATE 0558401

HUB FLANGE TO HUB FLANGE IS 66-1/4". ABOUT 1/2" LESS THAN A 14 BOLT.

[/ QUOTE ]

14042636 looks like a service part number or atleast a production number. Give me some time and I'll check into it at work on Tuesday.

All light duty stripped chassis axles have 8 lugs or 10 lugs. Chances are you have a light duty unit (under 16k GVW). Any more lugs and you'd have yourself a medium duty unit for sure.

Like I said, I'll check into it. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Another Workhorse K5 addict! I'm another employee and just checked the Electric Parts catalog. From the looks of it, a 12" ring gear Rockwell Axle was used in the 1991 GM P-Chassis. To take a look at the axle look here: Workhorse Public Parts Catalog Click on section 5 for rear axle and click on the 11th selection marked Rockwell. It will take you to a exploded view of the axle.

On our new W22/20 Chassis we use a Dana 130 or 135 axle. it is beyond huge in size. What ever is gained by brute strength you loose in ground clearance. Keep in mind the GVW on the W-Series chassis is 22,000 pounds, the rear axle is rated 14,500 by itself. Thats a hell of alot more than the average 1 ton.

8. jhrody

jhrody 1/2 ton status

yeah that W22 axle is enormous!

I'm thinking this is a regular P32/P42 axle. The '91 unit does make the most sense though.

That catalog might be a great help to ZK5. It is excellent for axle parts. But the pics are more generic.

I'll take a look in the ESDB, and all the other toys at my disposal at work. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ZooMad, you at corporate or a dealer? "Rob Z" doesn't ring a bell /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. ZooMad75

[ QUOTE ]
    ZooMad, you at corporate or a dealer? "Rob Z" doesn't ring a bell

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I'm incognito. Actually I work out of the Troy Service office in Michigan (for a week more). I'm one of the esteemed Regional service managers. I'll be moving into my region next week and back to the homeland of Colorado for that matter!

Are you over at Parts? or the Highland Park office? I was just there two weeks ago for a meeting.

[ QUOTE ]
    That catalog might be a great help to ZK5. It is excellent for axle parts. But the pics are more generic.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Anyway not to highjack the thread, but the public parts catalog is a bit generic and the part numbers may have been superceeded especially on the older past model year parts. Since we are moving on the the secure dealer only online catalog it would be best to use the older system as a starting point for any searches. That being said, any superceeded part number can usually be found in the Workhorse or GM parts Worlds. That is unless its a P-Chassis only part that GM has dropped like a stone out of thier catalog more than a year ago.

10. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Probably one of these:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You'll be stuck with a 19.5" (or larger) wheel because of the 13.5" rotors. They use the same calipers as the D60 front.

11. ZK5

ZK5 1/2 ton status

Yup, I see you found it too. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Are there any interchangeable parts for this axle? For example would I be able to swap my hubs and rotors onto it, Or is there any such thing as 8 lug parts for this axle?

If I can manage to get a 17" 8 lug wheel to fit this axle I can make the rest work. I can also get 10 lug to 8 lug adapters made if need be. Does anyone know the bolt circle for this 10 lug pattern?

12. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

So, Where's the rest of that Snap On truck????????? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. jhrody

jhrody 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    ZooMad, you at corporate or a dealer? "Rob Z" doesn't ring a bell

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I'm incognito. Actually I work out of the Troy Service office in Michigan (for a week more). I'm one of the esteemed Regional service managers. I'll be moving into my region next week and back to the homeland of Colorado for that matter!

Are you over at Parts? or the Highland Park office? I was just there two weeks ago for a meeting.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Anyway not to highjack the thread, but the public parts catalog is a bit generic and the part numbers may have been superceeded especially on the older past model year parts. Since we are moving on the the secure dealer only online catalog it would be best to use the older system as a starting point for any searches. That being said, any superceeded part number can usually be found in the Workhorse or GM parts Worlds. That is unless its a P-Chassis only part that GM has dropped like a stone out of thier catalog more than a year ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

all hail the new dealer parts catalog (that thing is great /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif)...i've heard rumours that the old public one will be sticking around for a while. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I'm over at the office in WeGo in interpretations.

congrats on that regional move, fianlly--- sounds like you wanted it.

Zk5...sorry we sorta hijacked the thread, but sounds like you have quite a bit of info about that axle now. If I find out anything new, I'll let you know. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Does anyone know the bolt circle for this 10 lug pattern?

[/ QUOTE ]

10-on-7.25". You'll have to inspect the wall tickness of the hub barrel to see if it can be machined down to fit through an 8-lug wheel. Use a Dodge 8-lug wheel for reference as they use the largest center hole.

15. jhrody

jhrody 1/2 ton status

fyi...

production part number 14042636 supercedes into service part number 15550459.

This is described as being used in 1982-1984 P-chassis under 16k gvwr. 5.29 ratio, as you already know.

16. ZooMad75

That 5.29 ratio might be a problem. I'm not sure I've seen that ratio used in any other application for a front axle. The alternative is finding somebody that deals in Rockwell axles to see if there are other gear ratios to choose from to get a ratio you can also find for the front axle to match. Of course a dana 60 looks like a 10 bolt compared to the Rockwell.

17. jhrody

jhrody 1/2 ton status

more info, if it helps.....

the Rockwell part number is C-103-CHX-6

should also be a 12.00" ring gear inside.

18. ZK5

ZK5 1/2 ton status

Wow, I can't believe how much info you guys have given me. Thanks. I have looked through the catalog and have discovered that this axle is very similar to the Dana axle. AND the hub appears to be interchangeable.

For example.. The Dana axle has part #'s for 8 OR 10 lug hubs, the 10 lug Dana hub is the same part# as the Rockwell hub, and the 8 lug Dana hub is the same part# as the corporate 14 bolt hub. SO it appears to me that I should be able to swap the 8 lug hub and rotor from my 14 bolt onto the Rockwell and use Rockwell bearings and races in the 14 bolt hub. And probly just fab up some brake caliper brackets, if I can't use the ones I already have. Also the lowest gear ratio I have found is 5.13 for the rockwell axle, I can easily get that for the Dana 60 I am running up front. But where can I buy the gear set and hub bearings for the Rockwell? Maybe Fleet Pride truck parts would have them.

19. jhrody

jhrody 1/2 ton status

keep in mind that the axle you have is out of a '82, '83 or '84 Chevy/GMC P42 (stepvan chassis). The catalog (loosely) lists the one in there as for a '91 model. There MAY be a few slight differences between the two.

I further broke down your particular axle number and see that it was also offered with a 5.88 (or somewhere around there;cant remember) ratio.

I also found similar Rockwells from the era as having ratios as high as 4.78.

There is a place in Bensenville, IL (Devon Ave.) Drivetrain Services (DTS) that I used to deal with during my dealer days. They can probably supply you with whatever you need if you cannot obtain it local.

20. Larry

Larry 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

A windy corner of a dirty street: Pueblo West, CO

[ QUOTE ]
    Wow, I can't believe how much info you guys have given me. Thanks. I have looked through the catalog and have discovered that this axle is very similar to the Dana axle. AND the hub appears to be interchangeable.

For example.. The Dana axle has part #'s for 8 OR 10 lug hubs, the 10 lug Dana hub is the same part# as the Rockwell hub, and the 8 lug Dana hub is the same part# as the corporate 14 bolt hub. SO it appears to me that I should be able to swap the 8 lug hub and rotor from my 14 bolt onto the Rockwell and use Rockwell bearings and races in the 14 bolt hub. And probly just fab up some brake caliper brackets, if I can't use the ones I already have. Also the lowest gear ratio I have found is 5.13 for the rockwell axle, I can easily get that for the Dana 60 I am running up front. But where can I buy the gear set and hub bearings for the Rockwell? Maybe Fleet Pride truck parts would have them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or your other option would be to get with Monroe Truck Equipment and score a set of Dana 60 10 lug brake rotors like they used on GM 3500-HD 4x4 conversions then get have a set of Stockton wheel made.

Probably would be pretty expensive for the little you would gain over and above a 14FF to go that route by the time you regeared the front axle and bought the 10 lug rotors and wheels but it was just a thought. I very seriously doubt you be lucky enough to find a Dana 8 lug hub and rotor that will bolt right onto the Rockwell just that easy.

This truck has a Dana 60 with 10 lug rotors&lt;---Correction...this axle is actually a Dana 70. Who knows maybe the 70 has the same hub and rotor as the 60 /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    [​IMG]