Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rockwell axles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Clod_King, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

Has anyone ever tried a set of those rockwell axles?

I haven't seen a truck on here with them, and I don't know why. Availability? size? function? I just figure if i could pick a set up cheaper then a D60/14FF wouldn't it be better?

2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well the cost of the axles may be cheap, but then you gotta think about the tires and rims to fit those axles. That can be a lot of added cost unless you can scrounge up a good deal. Getting them to work with your steering, braking, and drivetrain can be a little more work than the D60/14bff combo too. There are some people here running them though.

3. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

I know they take a 20" wheel, and have a crazy bolt pattern, and they are drum brakes, and the disc brake conversion is silly expensive with all those custom parts, but..... Aren't they silly stupid strong? and they have a high pinion placement too..... wouldn't that open up alot of doors?

4. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

Don't they have a better clearance then the 14FF, and D60?

5. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

boyce equipment sells wheels for pretty cheap to fit them. then you can get some of those huge michelins for cheap. if gas prices werent so high Id buy a set but this truck is my dd and I dont think that those huge tires and heavy axles would help any.

6. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

First off, rockwells weigh a rediculous amount (yeah, WAY more than a FF14 bolt/60 combo). Second, they are marginally stronger (shaft wise including a 35 spline 60 front). Rockwells are fairly difficult and expensive to make streetable (the stock rockwell brakes are freakin' dangerous!). Are they cheaper to begin with? Yes. Can they be built stronger than a 60/14 bolt? Yes. Do you need expensive wheels, custom steering and really expensive replacement parts? Probably. Are they cheap? Yep. Do they have more clearance than a 60/14 bolt? No freakin way. Are they a good alternative to one tons cost wise? IMO, no.

IMO, rocks are almost exclusively for trailered rigs. And really big and heavy rigs too. They have their place, and don't get me wrong, there are some really sick rigs on rocks. I just think too many people look to rocks for their "budget truck" and end up driving something dangerous on the street.

7. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

Well Rockies are both. My best friend is actually putting rockwells underneith his rockbuggy. There is a lot of fabrication needed.

As for clearence he shaved his and has the clearence of a Dana 44.

Strength, like stated above stock they are strong as Dana 60 and you can upgrade to way stronger.

Brakes, thats up in the air.

Wheels you can actually run diffrent customs. Again that way you can use your tires you are already running.

I will have a set as soon as I can find the smoking deal.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

rockwells kick ass. Hella high pinion, great clearance, super low gears, good build-up potential (2" - 47 spline shafts?!?!) etc. IMO, the only downside with them in a normal truck (as opposed to a buggy) is finding room for them (being top loading doesn't help) without having your rig sit a mile in the air.

Theres a guy over on pirate that has a single seat buggy with Rockies. Talk about kick ass and bombproof...

j

9. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

same thing as mog axles, they are badass, but they require alot of work and money. if you can do it right....go for it!

10. peterpan

peterpan Registered Member

my buddy put a set under a show truck for awhile but he scored a chromed set of axles 14 bolt ff and a dana 44 so now the rockwells sit in storage

11. muddybuddy

:what: :dunno: :screwy: :eek: :eek1: :yikes:

12. peterpan

peterpan Registered Member

ya i know i have a 71 camaro rally sport with a 396/turbo 400 4 wheel disc brakes and alot more he wants it real bad so i'm thinkig about trading him for the axles and the set of custom made 15x14 wheels with some dick cepec 44s but i like the camaro alot to so i'm unsure what to do i also have a 73 Z-28 so i wont really miss the rally sport that much

13. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Rockwells do have more clearance than a 14b and pretty much the same as a 60, there are three different front axle joint styles the spicer (normal u joint) is the strongest. If you take the drum brakes off a rockwell the weight comes down substantially. To the point where they are close to a 60 (still heavier though). The high pinion is both an advantage and a disadvantage, as you may have to lift your truck higher to clear the diff. Locking hubs are expensive if you plan to run on the street. I really don't think you would save any money on rockwells vs. a 60 and 14b and you absolutely have to run big tires (IMHO for anything that drives on the road) not 40s like 44s. I think if you scrounge and build alot of the stuff yourself than they can be an alternitive to the 60/14 combo. But if you have to buy everything that you will need its going to get expensive quick. My eventual plan for my blazer is rockwells but that is at least 5 years off

14. muddybuddy

unless ur plannin on running 49's, i think fully built 60/70 with chromo's and such will hold up, and rocks would be unnecessary....but it is bragging rights. but is it worth the likely $5k or more when its all said and done jus to say you have rocks?

15. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yep

16. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Willyswanter for example....47" LTB's, 60/14, 35spl chromos, beefier rear splines, arb/detroit, and all the upgrades i can think of, and hes twisting the splines on his shafts...he says himself they are a ticking timebomb waiting to go off...

17. muddybuddy

thats true, his rig is also really heavy, but i guess there is no such thing as a light fullsize. i ment to put 44's. it depends on how you use it, rocks are going to put way more stress than mud. reguardless, both are bigger then i will ever run so i wont ever have to worry bout that.....so i say right now:haha:

18. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Nobody's said it, but I believe they only have one axle ratio available. 6.37 or something like that.

19. muddybuddy

rock's ratio is 6.72's it would be perfect (you were close) :) for 49's

20. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You would be getting raped on that trade. Cepek's are junk. Trade your camaro for something good like a huge pile of cash. there are a lot of people out there that would love to have that 396.