Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rockwell rear axle???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mxrcr589, Apr 17, 2004.

1. mxrcr589

mxrcr589 1/2 ton status

I went back on a old trail today and found a old tractor or something. It has a rear axle that looks like a 2 1/2 ton or even a 5 ton axle. Any ways its flipped up side down and the axle would be easy to cut off and take home. Could it be a rockwell, how do i tell? Is there numbers or something stamped somewhere on it? It would be free since i talked to the owner, would this be worth selling, maybe i could trade it for a d60? Ill try and put a picture hopefully someone can tell me what it is.

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif ahhhhhh is this on your property or does it say free?

I guessing someone hasn't gotten back out there to flip it back over yet....

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's probably a planetary rearend. Does it have huge hubs? Like 10" or so in diameter? We use a good set of 4wd 10 ton planetaries to build 4wd bankouts out of them but they are slow.

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ahhhhhh is this on your property or does it say free?

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    It would be free since i talked to the owner,

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it is... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Hmmmm if it had planetary hubs then good luck finding a front axle to match it....

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Hmmmm if it had planetary hubs then good luck finding a front axle to match it....

[/ QUOTE ] Exactly, also it would be extremely slow and there is no aftermarket lockers or anything available. My bankout with dual planetary rockwells tops out at a whopping 23mph at full throttle in hi gear. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. mxrcr589

mxrcr589 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif ahhhhhh is this on your property or does it say free?

I guessing someone hasn't gotten back out there to flip it back over yet....

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah talked to the owner of the land, and i dont think anyones coming to flip it back,theres not really anything to flip back over, just the axle on the frame, its been there for atleast 5-10 years