Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rockwell T-221 for a doubler t/c?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wstolar, Oct 19, 2000.

1. wstolar

wstolar Registered Member

I just came across a divorced style Rockwell T-221 transfer case. I was thinking I could put it behind my NP205, and use that as a 'doubler'. My K30 pu has enough driveshaft room so this is doable from that point. I was just wondering if the T-221 is strong enough for use as a 'doubler'? My drivetrain is 454, TH400, NP205. Anyone?

Anyone know the size of ujt the T-221 takes? The rear looked like 1350 series, but the front was somewhat smaller.

Walter

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Give Steve Watson at offroaddesign.com a call about this, we were talking the other day about different t-cases that could be used, most of the problems were about length in a Blazer, a problem you don't have. He may know if it would work or not.

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

3. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

a T-221 is an excellent choice. I have thought it would be for years. Plenty strong enough, and the case length, from front input yoke to rear output yoke is 14", and the best part is that the rear output is lower than the front input by 5 1/2", which helps with rear driveline angles. I am looking for a T-221 also. I have one in my '63 GMC 4x4, but don't wanna pirate it outta there!!

ken

4. wstolar

Well I went out to my K30 and did some measuring. Looks like the T-221 won't work out very well. Problem is that the front driveshaft will hit the passanger side of the NP205. The NP205 is just too big. Even if I drop the T-221, driveshaft interference will be an issue. If I can get the T-221 cheap enough, I'll buy it just to have for possible future projects. I am surprised how compact it is. I was expecting something bigger. I like the idea of the outputs being lowner than the power input yoke.

Walter

Walter

5. wstolar

Well I went out to my K30 and did some measuring. Looks like the T-221 won't work out very well. Problem is that the front driveshaft will hit the passenger side of the NP205. The NP205 is just too big. Even if I drop the T-221, driveshaft interference will be an issue. If I can get the T-221 cheap enough, I'll buy it just to have for possible future projects. I am surprised how compact it is. I was expecting something bigger. I like the idea of the outputs being lower than the power input yoke.

Walter

Walter