Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rockwell T221 N3 Questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by donkeyman74, Mar 26, 2003.

1. donkeyman74

donkeyman74 Registered Member

I purchased a four speed with a Rockwell T221 N3 transfer-case attached, I would like to know if anyone knows where I could find some specs on this? (What tranny it is bolted to, t-case gears, does N3 = 3 speed, is this a good case or should I look for a np 205) It is out of a '68 C10 if that helps. I am putting this in my FJ40 landcruiser and would like to know how it holds up. I have a np205 mated to a th-350 in my Blazer and am happy with the 205. Should I look for one for the cruiser as well? Thanks for any help. T.J.

2. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

the 221 is a good case in my opinion. i have a divorced one in my rig currently and seems to be quite durable. it is gear drive just like a 205, has the same 1.96:1 also like the 205. the only difference i think you will see is the dropped rear output. this could work very nicely for you in the FJ40 due to the short wheelbase if you plan on lifting it. most likely the tranny that it is bolted to is a SM420. A SM420 consists of reverse down and to the left, and it has one PTO cover on the driver side. it has a 1st gear (1,2,3,4) of 7 something to 1. it is slightly higher than the SM465. good luck