Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rockwell Tech Questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79Stomper, May 14, 2005.

1. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

All right. Have had this thought in my head for a while now and well it is looking to become more than a thought. I can find rockwells for a whole lot cheaper than a 60 front.

So I want to see some pics of Blazers on rockies, specifically suspension setups and driveshaft flanges and stuff of the like. Also what about rims?

TIA:usaflag:

James

Last edited: May 14, 2005
  2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

so few peeps run rockies here.... it'd be best to go over to pirate and do some searches... LOTS of people run them there.

j

3. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey James there just a simple bolt up design go ahead and buy them!! This I gotta see!!!

4. k5gypsy

k5gypsy Registered Member

rocks....

<flamesuit on>

Ok... ehhe... Here goes... Everything that I have gathered over the past several months of research... :deal:

There ain't no way to build a cheap bulletproof front end... You can find deals on rocks, 60s, 9s, etc, but built, you're going to spend bucks to get what you want or need.

some words of wisdom, huh. lol...

Now to the rocks.

Various info compiled from here and out there in the nethers....

Sources - Axles, parts, etc.. - individuals, government auctions, military surplus dealers, several commercial companies.

Some of the more common...

www.ouversonengineering.com
    www.usa6x6.com
    www.chuckstrucks.net
    www.boyceequipment.com
    www.adelmans.com

Your mileage may vary with any of these, I'm not advocating any of them, and there are probably several others. I have found a good bit of info here on CK5, a good bit at Pirate, and quite a good bit from just browsing around.

Available Widths -

Front axle - 79.5"
    Front axle - Hubs can be machined and flipped to get 69.5" width
    Front axle - Narrowed using 2 short side axles hubs out - 72"

Rear axle, single wheel configuration - 69.25"
    Rear axle, dual wheel configuration - 79.5"

Weight -

Front - approx 670 lbs
    Rear - approx 500 lbs

Remove drum brakes will lose about 80 lbs per axle...

Gear Ratio -

6.72 period

Daniel at USA6x6 is working on a 5-something ratio, due out later this year, and will cost around $1k or slightly less.

Braking options -

stock drums
    pinion mounted disks
    coupla commercial wheel disk brake setups avail

Misc -

3 types of front axles, you want the ones that have rockwell on the tag to get spicer type shafts...

1.62 inch 16 spline axles - hardened alloys and thicker available commercially...

detroits lockers avail, and Ouversons has a beef version.
    coupla types locking hubs avail...

takes a bit of lift (est 8" + ) to keep the front diff from hitting the oil pan.

------

What I'm doing....

After doing a bit of research, and figuring that some of the things I could do myself and some were better left to the pros <heh>, I have ordered a set of axles from Chucks Trucks in Orlando, FL... I chose Chucks for a coupla reasons, number one is that it is a 1.5 hour drive from here and I can go pick them up instead of paying for shipping...

Anyways, I ordered two fronts, both narrowed and rebuilt. He also has a steering arm that I'll use in the front for hydro assisted crossover steering. For the rear axle, I'm looking at a self centering ram, and a locking clamp, but I haven't decided on the best route to achieve this yet.

Will build my own perches for the axles (hey they're square, can't be that hard :weld: ) I'm also picking up a front crossmember, u-bolts and upper u-bolt plates when I get the axles. Will post thoughts and pics when I get them (should be a coupla weeks tops).

As for the brakes, I still haven't decided this route yet either. There's several options, and I don't think I want to rely on just a pinion brake (not even considering the legality of it...) , we'll see. Ouversons also has a hub to use 1-ton rotors and wheels, not sure I want to spend that kinda bucks, but slick none the less...

As for wheels, I'm probably going to go with a set of the double beadlocks from USA6x6... He can custom cut both the centers and the beadlock rims...

<flamesuit still on>

I still have a few things to work out, and I would also be interested in any other thoughts/ideas/experiences with rocks.

And yeah, the blazer will be a mile high in the air, and weigh a ton (actually several, ehhe), and there will be some places I won't be able to go, like we have a lot of rocks here in Florida anyways, but it's going to be a blast to build, and most likely quite a blast to drive!

Mark

5. 54inches

54inches 1/2 ton status

Any updates?

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

K5gypsy is probably still waiting for those USA6x6 wheels.

7. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

:haha: :haha: :haha: What an update!

8. k5gypsy

k5gypsy Registered Member

HAHAHAHAHAHA.... wow, it's been a long time since I visited the site (subscr lapsed, gotta renew), and even longer since I wrote this...

Quick update, after playing phone tag with some silly girl (woman, myrmidon, who knows) from Chucks for almost 2 months, I finally got fed up and started looking elsewhere. Found a deal on some rocks and parts from a fellow from Virginia. Fought with getting them shipped. Well, let me say this, you ever have dealings with a guy online, goes by the name of Dishman, you got it covered. He loaded up the rocks, etc and drove them from Virginia to Florida after the shipping got screwed. Here's what I got outa the deal. 2 Fronts, 2 rears, 1 locker, a box of rebuild parts, a set of 16.5x14 steel wheels, and a set of still in the box dbl beadlocks from usa6x6, same size. I know you guys love to rag on Daniel, but the wheels look great (welds) and I ordered and promptly recieved the cut bottoms for them from him, but that was a shelf stock item, heh....

Anyways, I'm still about halfway through this project, and yeah, it's up there in the clouds, but hey, most Florida mud/swamp trucks are :) :) Been really busy closing one business and starting another, so it's not getting the attention that it deserves... Soon tho...

Pics of progress so far are at:

http://www.gypsysden.com/mark/projects/blazer/

Back to it soon.... I hope....

9. 54inches

54inches 1/2 ton status

Nice page.

10. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

I was over looking at oversons his stuff looks ultra strong, the 2 inch shaft kit that comes with the spool, holy**** that stuff looks tough. I've got some really big dreams/plans...

11. 54inches

54inches 1/2 ton status

I found a few articles online about adding a detroit, about doing hydro-assist, and one about the installation of Rockwells, ofcourse in a non-stock application.

Does anyone have a link to an exploded view of the different Rockwells?

12. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

Just an idea, try www.steelsoldiers.com , those guys are really into military vehicles in a big way.
    Jimbo

13. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

14. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

15. 54inches

54inches 1/2 ton status

TC designs has a NICE setup and steel soldiers had some nice manuals. I briefly checked them out, but both look like great sites.

differential engineering's site was down or something.....

16. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

17. 54inches

54inches 1/2 ton status

Beautiful!

18. 54inches

54inches 1/2 ton status

That brake set is nice as well.

Jimbo, you sure were right, these brake kits are spendy.