Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rockwell U-Bolts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kkyle69, Jun 21, 2005.

1. kkyle69

kkyle69 Registered Member

Does anybody know where I can score some U-Bolts to connect my Axle to Springs. I'm planning on 4-linkin the rear, but funds are scarce so all I can do at the moment is the rear. Does anybody know where a good website is for Rockwell Parts?

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

weld a thick plate (1/2") to the tube, drill 4 holes in the corners. Then just lay your spring on there on top of it and make a to spring plate with 4 holes in the corners, then just use some big nuts and bolts.

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

4. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

You can have a spring shop make the u-bolts. They are 3.5" x 10.5" tall if I recall. Also, you can use the spring plates from a 14 bolt ff for the top plate.

Not sure if I would trust welding the plate to the top. Even though there is not a lot of downward weight, I would feel much more comfortable sandwiching the spring to the axle.

One idea I did see was a guy using some small diameter heavy guage tubing and welding it to the axle. Then running a long bolt thru the top plate down into the tubing and and attaching using a nut.

5. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Here's a pic:
    [​IMG]

You can use this same idea with bolts if you find some spring plates from a 14 bolt ff. The axle tube diameter is the same on both the 14 bolt and the Rockwell.