Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rockwell's and daily driving?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shagnaz, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Shagnaz

Shagnaz 1/2 ton status

Rockwell\'s and daily driving?

I was thinking about trading my 1 ton set up for a front and rear steering Rockwell set up. It is set up for Chevy K5 and the rear has been centered for the drive shaft.

Just pondering the idea. Let me know /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Thanks
    Mike B

2. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Re: Rockwell\'s and daily driving?

Needs a lot of lift-top loader axle. Need big tires-6.72:1 gears. DD-I'd pass.

3. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

What size tire you wanting to run?? Only gear ratio is 6.72, your 38s wouldn't be going very fast with that gear ratio. Rockwell's produce axle wrap more than your current axles, therefore you would need some anit-wrap bars or go to a 3 or 4 link setup. IMO they wouldn't be very good for a DD.

Eric

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

u could use one of the "reverse" doublers they sell on pirate. they mount the 203 part backwards which gives you a .5 overdrive... which would negate the rockwells mad-low ratio...

j

5. Shagnaz

Shagnaz 1/2 ton status

I'd be going up to 39.5 or bigger. I know the 38's aren't a option...If I could, they would have been changed out awhile ago, but anyways.
    Like I said...just pondering. I think I could make it work. I have OD and I know I wouldn't be going anywhere real fast with the gears it has, but I thought it would be cool to see if I could make a setup work as a DD.

Any pics out there with Rockwells under a K5?

Thanks
    Mike B

6. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

Using a true 40 inch tire and the OD ratio of .70 for a 700R4 you get an RPM of 2568 at 65 MPH, go to a 44 and it is 2334 RPM.

So if you really want to go faster than 65 as a DD I would suggest the reverse T-case doubler as mentioned or an Auxiliary tranny or overdrive.

Does your state have a "lift" law to contend with? If so you will SOL or need to fab up some fun lower bumpers and lights. Cause with the tires and suspension you will be way up there in height.

Good luck

Tim

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

In addition to the above, you'll need a serious motor to pull it all around. The steering axles weigh a LOT! A friend of mine sent me a link for a Land Cruiser a while back that was running Rockwells (only the front was a steering axle) and 52-inch Michelins. Just the axles, wheels, and tires weighed 3,500 lbs! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

unf lightweight stuff... ha. And I thought it sucked when I just moved the Dana 44 and 14 bolt into the garage, HA

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If you are only going to run a 40" tire I'd just get the 35 spline outers for your 60 and call it a day. When you brought this up I thought you would be going w/ a min of a 44. As always your truck, your $$$, but the extra lift needed to run them is going to make the 40 look small.

10. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Can somebody tell me why people go Rockwells? What can they do (besides rear steering) that a D60/14bolt cant?

11. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Rockies are HUGE. 2 1/2 ton rated, but will handle more. They can take abuse that would break a set of one tons like a twig. Definately not a DD axle, unless of course your in the Army.

John

12. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Rockies are HUGE. 2 1/2 ton rated, but will handle more. They can take abuse that would break a set of one tons like a twig. Definately not a DD axle, unless of course your in the Army.
    John

[/ QUOTE ]

That is right, plus yo get noce grund clearence when running the right BIG tire. In retrospct I wish I would have done rockwells instead of the 1 tons. but the again, I am nutty.

13. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I really do like the 700R4(and run one) but I just dont see putting a 700R4 to a 2½ton axle it just wouldent seem right... btw I would deffentally go with atleast a 42 if not a 44 or even bigger... those gears are LOW, you should get quite a bit of lift just from the axles themself, and also are you planning on using a rockwell rear end out back or going with rear steer?