Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rockwells or 1 ton...which would you choose?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Apr 28, 2003.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm in this situation where I could run either Rockwells or 1 ton's. In the end, both will end up costing about the same...maybe.

I'm trying to look at it from every last aspect. For the highway, the 1 ton's win. For the ease and capability of tire size, the Rockwells.

In your most professional opinion, which would you go with? I can go either way with this and I don't really want to regret my choice.

If I go with the Rockwells, there WILL be a set of 49 or 52" XL's on it. If I go 1 ton, it will only be 42's.

I'm also considering the Rockwells because I am having some trouble locating the front axle I need.

What would you do?

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

There are quite a few pro's and con's to running each axle, but the main thing I would ask myself is what gear ratio do I need to work with the tire size I have in mind.

Rockwell 2.5 tons are only available in a 6.72 ratio.
    1 ton axles (GM versions) will only go up to 5.13 when using the 14FF. D60's can run up to 7.17 when used with a D70 rear axle.

Take into consideration what ratio you want and go from there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

That where I'm having trouble with the Rockwells. I can't figure out the RPM for a 52 or 49" tire. I need to look for the formula to figure it out. Any idea where I could find it?

With the 1 tons and 42's, I was sitting pretty on my 5.13 gear ratio's with the 6.2L. I wasn't pushing it on the highway and it was perfect with the Doubler. It's that damn big ass tire that's killing me.

4. Suburbanite

Suburbanite Registered Member

Here's the formula:

RPM = (336 x MPH x Rear GR x OD ratio) / (Tire diameter)

There are also a # of websites that do the figuring for you but I don't have any links -- sorry.

Do you realize how heavy either tire/wheel combo will be? Good luck trying to change a tire/wheel by yourself & forget about doing a tire rotation on your own.

Good luck.

5. chevyman_400

chevyman_400 Registered Member

I belive 4lo.com has the tables to figure it out

6. BigOrange90Jimmy

Thanks bud.

With the 49's, the RPM's look about 2500 at 55 MPH. With the 52's, it's about 2300 at 55 MPH. I can live with that, especially since Michelin says not to take them faster than 55.

Yep, I'm aware of how heavy they will be. A piece of sheetmetal and some grease will handle that. Just do it monster truck style, or use my tractor. I'm fairly sure I won't be cutting the sidewall of the Michelins, so hopefully I wouldn't need a spare.

I have a link to one site that figures up the gear ratios, but it's only good for a tire up to 44". That site is here: gear calculator

I'm still needing some opinions though. Those ratios are not even close to what I was seeing with the 42's. I'm just looking for reliability from either.

7. chevyman_400

chevyman_400 Registered Member

I am running full one ton and love it!!! parts afre easy to get and they are basic to work on. but if the opp. arose I would be willing to take rw's. Bigger is better!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

How are you planning to run a 52" tire on the street and keep the truck legal? Don't forget with the Rockwells the brake system will run into some bucks. Me personally I would just go with 1 tons and if you brake anything in the front you can always get a set of Moser shafts and CTM's and 35 spline outers. Plus if you need a bearing or something chances are your local parts store will have it.

Oh, and what axle are you having a hard time finding?

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

its just my opinion... but if the rig is gonna be off-road-only (trailored to the trail) then rockwells win.... if its gonna see hwy miles then I'd go 1-ton... maybe D70HD rear if you want mad low gearz...

j

10. Orange Crush

Orange Crush 1/2 ton status Premium Member

With the rockwells you won't have any driveline angle problems just the brake and gear ratio problems.I wish I had went with the rockwells.I had some problems over the weekend with the Dana 60 U joints and axle shafts .Ya gotta love a big block and to much traction. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I guess it depends on what you plan on doing with it. Mud bogging is out unless you run a nice wide tire. There is a mud truck here with rockwells and 48" tires. He seems to sink and get stuck all the time. I can drive around him while he is stuck. I guess you could offset that with a very wide tire though. In a mud race, Its still not that great. He runs a Blown 502 and I can beat his times with 36" tires. For the cost in the end, 1 ton is cheaper. If you break 1 ton stuff though, I guess its a no brainer.

12. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Well, here my friend has a 'burban on Rockies w/ 48's, & it's street legal. Granted, this thing don't see the street, but it's tagged and can be driven on the street. Custom rims, custom suspension, custom everything. Not so w/ a set of 1 tons. Hard core trail only=Rockies Street/trail beef=1 ton My 2 cents

John

13. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Hard core trail only=Rockies Street/trail beef=1 ton My 2 cents

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that!

14. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

If it is gonna cost you about the same anyways...go big or don't go at all! I vote for the Rockwells!!!

15. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

rockwell's!!!! esp. if it is trail only. i dont think you are gonna want a DD anywqay with 42's and one ton's.

16. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

By the time you buy, rebuild, regear, do the brakes seals bearings ETC to a 60, you can get a PAIR of Rocks, your already geared, chances are good its in good shape since the military is good about servicing the rigs, toss on some brakes and your good to go. You can weld a Rock front w/out fear of scattering them, or drop in a Detroit.

The weight of them isnt THAT big of an issue once you remove the monster brakes that come on them. But you can keep those brakes if you go w/ the 49-52in tires, they take a 20in wheel so the Rock brakes will clear, so that takes care of the buying brakes issue too.

Oh and they make bottom covers now that give as much if not MORE clearance than a 60. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Like 5 and change from centerline. IIRC

The worst part of Rocks is the brakes and wheels. (Also IF you can handle the gears, but you wouldnt be looking into them if ya cant /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif)

17. BigOrange90Jimmy

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh, and what axle are you having a hard time finding?

[/ QUOTE ]

78-79 F350 or 88-91 F350 D60 front.

It WILL be street legal and I WILL drive it to the trail. To me, that's what makes it a good truck.

I think I've had a change of plans in what vehicle they're going under though. I'm really considering putting them under Big Orange now. Combine the TH700 with the 48" XML's or the 49" XL's and the gear ratio will be just right for the 6.2L.

I'm thinking disc brakes up front at each wheel with a pinion brake on the back. The rear will be welded up and the front will have a detroit in it. That takes care of the brakes.

I have enough lift to clear the center-section, so that's not a problem either.

I don't know which truck to put them under. I'm in between a rock and a hard place. This is the hardest decision to make.

[ QUOTE ]
    How are you planning to run a 52" tire on the street and keep the truck legal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Those tires are street legal and NC doesn't have any sort of lift laws that would apply to me, so it'll be street legal.