Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rockwells under a 76 k5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 68on44s, Jul 30, 2006.

1. 68on44s

68on44s Registered Member

Hello all, ive been doing alot of research the past couple of days.. and i have found a little information on rockwells.. but not enough. I really want to put rockwells under my 67. If there is any links you could post i would greatly appreciate it. I'll continue searching.... also is there anyone i can talk to that has put rockwells under the k5? My 67 is on a 76 k5 chassis.. so the added help from someone who has done it would be great. This truck started out as a mud truck but i have become interested in flexy crawlers and ive learned that working with my 3/4 ton drivetrain is a waste of time for use with military wheels and tires. Thanks in advance.

2. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I was around a bit when a guy put rockwells under a truck (it was a ford). Basically you have to get the axles and jack the truck up and slide the axles under the truck get them centered and start building perches spring plates, figuring out your steering, where you want the axle to go etc. Its alot of work. If you can fab its not too much money but don't expect it to be really cheap. Good luck with this, when I get around to getting another rig I hope to put rockwells under my truck too.

3. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

if your clearing 44" tires now you probaly have at least 10" of lift you may need more if not that big toploader may shake hands with your crossmember/oilpan My suggestion would be to get some 8" lift 56" REAR springs and swap them to the front (via a B-52 kit or the home grown swap ) this will give you somewhere in the Neighborhood of 12" of lift while remaing flexier than normal 12" springs as well as moving the Axle a few inches forward You will have to build some perches on the rockwells which works out well because you can build a safe 2" of lift in those U bolts and spring plates and the front is in place you'll then nee to tackle the steering and brakes which is where I'm at so I'm off no further help on that end I've got ideas but nothing set yet.
    as for the rear I'd go with some 8" lift 63" springs for an Ifs truck (i'm gonna use 57"ford F-350 springs for cost reasons they were free) with a DIY shackle flip and again 2' builtup spring perches.
    that should be Tall fairly flexy and cushy suspension of course you would need to address the shock issue as well even with all this I still think some major fender trimming is gonna be required to clear those big Military tires I'm only planning for 47' swamper LTB's

4. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

check your other thread about 53" on the 44, I posted a link to a great thread about rockies. :thumb:

5. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I could be wrong, but I don't think even stock rockwells will hold up well to 53's. Also, the 53's are so damn stiff they aren't supposed to be too great for crawling. Also, you will probably want way more wheelbase than a K5 can provide given the tire height and overall height this thing will undoubtedly have. I'm not saying rocks or the K5 are the wrong way to go, just trying to point out all the trouble you may have. No matter what, you are talking big $$$ to get it all together (even though the tires and axles are relatively cheap).

6. 68on44s

thanks for the info guys.. i may just get some 40s or something.. i dont know yet.. i want this thing to be great in all areas, mud, rocks, woods... etc. i want the universal ultimate trail rig.. i think mild trail wheeling is my favorite.. crossing creeks, going up hills.. a couple rocks~ then dump in the mud just to get'er dirty.. once again thanks for the info and insight

7. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I thnk 40 inched tires a great all around tire for a K5, not too large where you need massive amounts of lift, but yet a decent size to get through where you want to go. Combine that with some lockers, part time like a ARB, or a good ole detroit front and rear and you got a pretty lethal truck on your hands. Of course with that setup it wont be no crazy high horse mud bogger, nor may it be a the flexiest rockcrawler. In my opinion it would be pretty good all around rig. It reminds me of something someone on here once said, "jack of all trades, master of none".

8. yellowK20

9. yellowK20

heres the Pics obviously this thing is for deep mud only BUT the crazy **** has actually jumped it a few times and lived to tell about it the first pic is old this is when it had twin 454's the second is how it looks now
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Damn and I didn't think there was any mud in New Mexico just goes to show how much I know

As far as the post goes 40s are a nice tire on a blazer but my 38s worked well really well with a locker in the rear 3/4 ton axles can be made to live. Search on here you will find more info then you need on suspension. 52s in front 56s in front 63 out back ford 57s shock mounts, bump stops all have been discussed at legnth, we even talk about normal lift kits every now and again. And trust me with a little expirance you can make the trucks on 44s with " 600 hp" motors look dumb with your 40s and a stock 350

11. skykrawler

skykrawler Registered Member

When you get those rockwells under your K5, get pictures, i have a buddy that is doing rockwell's under his Cherokee. You can find a rockwell for sorta cheap. we picked it up for 160.00. Military tires and all. I have been told that the rockwell is unbreakable. I hope you do the rockwell and get keep us informed on it.

12. yellowK20

Here's some more of the truck my buddy has those are 66" rice and canes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. skykrawler

skykrawler Registered Member

So what did you decide to do? are you going with the Rockwells?

14. 68on44s

oh yeah. ive been searching backyards and feilds for military running gear. Right now i have the 38" ground hawgs with the 44 and 12b... i Bought a 3/4 for parts.. its a 2wd w/ 14b rear... So im using it for parts. I did the 56"rear swap and im doing the 52" front right now, but the springs arent wide enough and Im trying to work that one out. Ill build what i have for now.... But the rockwells are still in the plans.

15. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

Does He have to use that ladder to get in it? :haha:

16. yellowK20

Nah you just climb the lugs of the rear tire and open the door and climb in it's not to hard . the bottom of the door is just a shade over 6 foot on the gooseneck trailer it's 2" shy of legal height limit for New Mexico .It actually drives decent 35-40 mph is very manageable the way it's built is kinda hack .....okay way hack by CK5 standards but it does what it was built for and does it well (plus the A/C works awesome)

17. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

you mean thats not his daily driver? haha

18. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

19. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

A dana 60 and 14ff will be more than enough for 40's. Especially if you went with chromoly shafts. There would be tons less fabwork. You would have more ground clearance and less weight. Seals on rockwells don't like mud. Rockwells don't use traditional brakes, and you would have to go full hydro I think.

If you're wanting deeper gearing, get a doubler, or go with a dana60/70 combo, then you can get down to 7.17 gears :eek1: even deeper than the rockerwell's 6.72 gears.

I personally would stick with 5.13's and 40's with 1 ton axles. Rockwells seem to be impracticle unless you're going with 44"+ tires.. just my 2 cents

20. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

Just gotta say that the big white burb above makes my burb look very little :eek1: . I would like to swap my d60/14bff under my toyota and put some rocks under the burb with 49" Iroks . I wish I could find some for as cheap as you guy's down south get them .