Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rockwell's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by txfireman110, Jan 21, 2004.

1. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

Rockwell\'s

Help me out here.... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    Found some Rockwell 2 1/2s... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    1.Can you run whatever size tires you want?....
    2.How hard would it be to stick them under an '80 K10?...
    3.What are they worth?....
    4.Do they have lockers in them?
    Thanks

2. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Re: Rockwell\'s

1. The military runs some pretty hefty tires on those things. 44's wouldn't be a problem at all. I don't see 48's or even 52's as a problem.

2. Hope you like a really tall rig. Since they are a top loader design, you're gonna have to get that engine crossmember above that unless you want to bump the pan on the top of the axle. No idea as to how much lift, but I'm guessing quite a bit. 10"??? Maybe. Just guessing there.

3. I've seen them go as a complete set WITHOUT rims for anywhere from $1500 to $3500 from private sellers.

I hope that helps. Boyce Equipment has all kinds of rebuild stuff for them. I'm sure they could answer any specific questions you have. Good luck with it!

Kris

3. txfireman110

Would you have to go as big as 44's or would say 38's be doable????

4. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Depends on how fast you want to be able to go. If I remember right, those axles have something like 6.71 gears in them, or something really close to it. So, with 38's you won't be going very fast down the road, but in the dirt, you could crawl all over anything. Don't forget about the rim issue.

Kris

5. txfireman110

Rim issue?????
    Tell me about this please....

6. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

With 6.72 gears in the pumpkin, you will be turning some serious RPMs with 38's, even 44's will be spinning the engine pretty fast. IMHO, if you just want to run 38's, skip the Rockwells. I have seen them go for as little as $700-800 for a set in good, used condition. They have open diffs in the military trucks, but Detroits are available.

7. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

They are a 6 lug rim is the axles are from a 2 1/2 ton (duece) truck and (i think) a 10 lug from the 5 ton truck. The lugs are really spaced out. I don't remember the exact messurements on them. I've seen a couple places that make rims for them so you can run 15, 16, or whatever you want to run on them. If you want to have 20 and be they can do it, but its all in what you want. All the wheels I've seen have been steel.

Kris

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Why would you wan't big heavy rockwells if your only thinking 38's? Heck a beefed up front D44 or 10B with CTM's and aftermarket shafts can just about handle 38's along with a 14BFF in the rear...

9. txfireman110

I'm not stuck on 38's, just curious if they would work till 44's came into the poor man's budget!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

With gearing like that I think I would opt for something a little taller if your budget would allow. Is this for a trail only rig or a street driven rig (occasionally/regularly)? If you look around enough you can catch some good deals on some Michelin military tires that are taller than 44's.

Kris

11. txfireman110

Trail Only (if need be)

!!!** What would it take to put them under a K10?**!!!

12. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

You might try searching on pirate for this. I read a bunch of stuff on there about it when I came across a set for a really good deal. Once I realized what it took to put them under my rig, which was WAY more than I wanted in every way, I passed on the deal.

Kris

13. txfireman110

OK, i'll check it out tommorow, going to bed now though. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    THANKS A TON for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I have hear that the top loader can hit the pan on flat ground with a 6". You can always move the axle foward about 9" and fix that with a 3 link. You will quickly out run a poor mans budget and tap dry another mans budget to boot. This is all my opinion so no quotes followed by wrong, "blah blah blah"

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Heck a beefed up front D44 or 10B with CTM's and aftermarket shafts can just about handle 38's

[/ QUOTE ]

Think so? Try it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Four outings, two broken u joints and stubs. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

If I was gonna run Rockwells, I'd run MICHELINS! That's what's made for them. They come in both 49 and 52 inch heights that'd be ideal for Rockwells.

Otherwise a properly beefed D60 can pretty much handle 42s or 44s in most cases. My buddy managed to break his 35 spline D60 with a power-loc and 44" boggers, but he beat the piss out of it for a long time and it just finally broke.

16. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

You didnt have CTMs and chromemoly shafts did you?

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    You didnt have CTMs and chromemoly shafts did you?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the '60 upgrade was cheaper. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Then again, mine is open. It had all the chance in the world to survive with good joints and being an open diff. Snapped the joints right in half.

18. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Heck a beefed up front D44 or 10B with CTM's and aftermarket shafts can just about handle 38's

[/ QUOTE ]

Think so? Try it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Four outings, two broken u joints and stubs. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]You have a totally stock front axle...new u-joints or not it's still stock. I would bet that a 10B with CTM's and chromemoly shafts would have held up with your 38's. With a 38" bogger maybe not but with anything else I bet it would. I agree though that it would just be better to get a front 60 instead.

19. txfireman110

OK, NO Rockwell's... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

20. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]You have a totally stock front axle...new u-joints or not it's still stock. I would bet that a 10B with CTM's and chromemoly shafts would have held up with your 38's. With a 38" bogger maybe not but with anything else I bet it would. I agree though that it would just be better to get a front 60 instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

quick question from a new 4x4 owner, what is CTM?