Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rod knock or bad injector????

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by alec78, Jul 31, 2004.

1. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

On Tuesday I was headed out of the mountains and out of nowhere this very hard knock started. Sounded like from cylinder 1, 3 or 5. I imeaditally look at my oil pressure guage and it was fine (60 - 70 psi, don't remember exactly). I did happen to notice that my "tinkerbell" noise was also present. Then as quick as it started it was gone, maybe 5 - 8 seconds (I was just about to turn the engine off).

The knock returned the next morning for about 3 - 4 seconds, It has not returned since. I checked my oil level and it is fine.

I guess I'm wondering if an injector can come and go like that???? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I am working torwards getting my injectors rebuilt / replaced, but is this a sign of not much time left or is there something else?

Thanks in advance!

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    On Tuesday I was headed out of the mountains and out of nowhere this very hard knock started. Sounded like from cylinder 1, 3 or 5. I imeaditally look at my oil pressure guage and it was fine (60 - 70 psi, don't remember exactly). I did happen to notice that my "tinkerbell" noise was also present. Then as quick as it started it was gone, maybe 5 - 8 seconds (I was just about to turn the engine off).

The knock returned the next morning for about 3 - 4 seconds, It has not returned since. I checked my oil level and it is fine.

I guess I'm wondering if an injector can come and go like that???? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I am working torwards getting my injectors rebuilt / replaced, but is this a sign of not much time left or is there something else?

Thanks in advance!

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I know I would say the noise is coming from the injectors, if it's bad injectors or air in the system i don't know, but start from there.
    If you haven't rebuilt the injectors in a while it's a good place to start, check also all your fuel hoses and then maybe check your IP and lift pump.
    You can check the fuel lift pump with a pressure guage which should be no less than 4-6PSI.