Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rodchester carbs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ronnny3, Oct 26, 2004.

1. ronnny3

ronnny3 Registered Member

Having a disscussion at work and was told that the way a drive that a 2 barrel off of like an impala or the like on top of my 350 would get better gas mileage and be alot simpler of a carb than the q-jet i have now and alot easier to work on. I rarely do open up the four barrel on the trail or the road either one just mild trail riding and to +from work. As far a performance I would be happy with the 2 barrel i am sure. But! How do these do off road bouncing around and on sidehills etc..? My q-jet is worn out with no chance of anther rebuild. The shaft the throttle cable hooks to is sloppy and just worn out. Of course this carb is 31 years old. What is some of ya'lls thoughts on this? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

The smaller barrels on a Q-Jet are smaller than the barrels on a 2-bbl Rochester. So, if you never open the secondaries you will get better mileage with a Quadrajet than you would with a 2-bbl. Best bet is to rebuild your current carb IMO.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I agree with 75-k5 , and suggest you keep the Q-jet . But to also answer your other question , my friend has a 2gc on his 350 powered Heep , and it runs nearly as well as my Q-jet off camber and ascending or descending /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. ronnny3

ronnny3 Registered Member

So you think i would be better off with anther q-jet, ok but i will have to get anther because this one just ain't worth anther rebuild. Have q-jet that was gave to me but when i tried to put it on i guess the float was stuck so i pulled it back off. I guess i'll rebuild it and keep a q-jet. It will save me making an adapter plate anyhow for the 2 barrel i was also offered. I was just thinking about how much easier the 2 barrel looked to work on.

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Most machine shops can rebushing the throttle shaft to take the slop out of it if you want to rebuild your current unit.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep, or places like carbs unlimited will sell you two bushings for (at the time) $5 each, and IIRC, you just need a "J" drill bit.

7. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

I got a rebuilt Quadrajet from Autozone for $124.00. Installed it and hooked up the vacuum guage to tune it and it was nuts on....it even idled at the right RPM. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I don't have any experience on my K5 with a 2bbl, but I did have one on my 69 Nova way back when. At the time it had a 307 and with the 2bbl I was getting pretty crappy milage (as far as a 3500# car with a 307 and 2.73 gear should get). I rebuilt the carb and mileage only got slightly better. We swapped out the 2bbl and intake for a factory cast iron 4bbl intake and q-jet. I noticed 2 main things after the swap. My mileage went up (as long as my foot was out of it). I also noticed that just accelerating up to speed with traffic took much less throttle effort than with the 2bbl. With the 4bbl I was hitting 20mpg on the highway as compared to at least 4 mpg less with the 2bbl. Most likely that was attributed to the q-jet's smaller primaries.

A properly tuned q-jet (without leaks from the throttle shafts and casting plugs) has the capability of getting pretty good mileage as long as you are not addicted to hearing the secondaries open up. I'd stick with a fresh Q-jet before swapping a 2GC 2bbl on.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I had a 2gc on a 305 in a 71 GMC K10 I plowed with--I could climb up steep snowbanks without a problem,once in a while it would load up and want to stall,but not to the point it was annoying.Then I put a Q-jet and intake on it,and I was suprised at how it would seemingly run at whatever angle I put the truck at(I thought a 4 barrel might flood more easily)but it did very well--so well in fact,that I put it back on after one storm with a 600cfm edelbrock performer(AFB clone)on it--that carb sucks for any hills or off camber conditions--I about killed the battery and starter it stalled so many times--it was dangerous too--having the motor quit at the top of a 30ft snowbank isnt much fun!!.The edelbrock is also prone to carb icing(probably due to the thick aluminum adapter reqired to adapt it to the Q-jet manifold)in my area,we get lots of damp cool weather,and it makes the carb freeze,literally,and makes it flood,stall,and get lousy mileage,this occurs mostly between 32-50 degrees.The factory hot air pipe from the exhaust is a must have around here.Having a stock aircleaner and Q-jet is a big improvement in the cooler weather here.I bet a lot of engines get gas washed to death around here because of the "cold carb"syndrome... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif